Re: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson iBooks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryguy2303, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

So, I made my first ever iBooks purchase in the form of the Steve Jobs biography. After reading about 100 pages, I've decided it's very difficult to read on my iPhone. Is there anyway I can read it as a PDF or some other format on my laptop?

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

This is the sole reason I switched from iBooks to Kindle. They really need to get on the ball with AT LEAST a Mac based iBooks app.

3. Dallious macrumors member

your right, kindle is the way to go. not sure why apple is pushing people to kindle.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Cause you know Apple is pushing millions of people away from their PHONES for an EREADER.

5. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

But, "Is there anyway I can read it as a PDF or some other format on my laptop?"

Thanks in advance

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Agreed with the Kindle format being WAY more useful. I have an iPad, iPhone, laptop, desktop, and a Kindle. I can be reading on any of those devices, put that device down, pull the book up on another one, and continue reading at the same spot.

I bought a couple books from the iBooks app just to see if there was a benefit, and they look fine on my iPad - but really not significantly different from Kindles, and so much more limited with no support for any of my other devices other than the iPhone.

----------

Nothing official. I don't know if anyone has ever "hacked" the iBooks format or not though.

7. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Or... wait for it... pushing people from iBooks Store to Amazon's Kindle Book Store.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Nothing "unofficial" either. Apple's iBooks "FairPlay" DRM has not been cracked. Sorry, OP, but your ebook is only readable on your phone or an iPad.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ironically, I would start buying books from iBooks if the DRM *was* cracked. Right now, I'm buying books from Amazon, cracking the DRM, converting to epub, and reading them in the iBooks app on my iPhone and iPad. (I prefer the way books are formatted in iBooks app over how they appear in Kindle app.) If iBooks DRM could be cracked, I could skip the conversion process, and still read them with Stanza or other ebook readers on my desktop.

10. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I don't mind reading it on the iPhone 4s but I would really like to have a mac version of iBooks. Hopefully apple will release iBooks for the mac. But for me the iPhone 4s is okay to read the book.