Re-stocking Fee Confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donster28, Jun 11, 2009.

1. donster28 macrumors 6502a

Planning of exchanging my new MBP 13" I bought yesterday with a slight lcd bleed in the bottom right of the screen.

I'm am confused on Apple's policy on returns and exchanges. Will I be charged re-stock fee for this?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on the person you talk to, the store you go to, your attitude when you make the return, etc. Too many factors to say... and ultimately, our opinion will be only that... an opinion. Situations and resolutions have varied widely.

Generally, if it is flawed machine, there won't be a charge

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whoa, it's a hit and miss you say. Now I'm nervous. :(

4. iGary Guest

iGary

You should:

1. Make a Genius Bar appointment.
    2. Show the Genius the bleeding issue at your appointment.
    3. Ask for a replacement (show your receipt).
    4. Get a manager involved if they say no.
    5. Be courteous and nice.

The only time a restock fee is charged is if you return an opened, serialized item like a computer. Manager's will sometimes waive the restock if you are purchasing something else, the item is defective, or for other circumstances on a case-by-case basis.

5. nws0291 macrumors 6502

If it was purchased within 14 days and was not a custom build to order then you can return the laptop with no restocking fee.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Exchange it. If they simply want to return it, there will likely be a restock charge, as it has been opened. Everyone's mileage may vary depending on store/manager, etc.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They won't. If there is a "flaw", Apple won't expect you to keep it. If they charge you it would be like "keep the flaw or we going to charge you". You're not returning the item just an exchange so Apple isn't going to charge you a restocking fee.

(If someone did get charged in the past, please chime in but I really think that's unreasonable and makes no sense.)

8. zsnow macrumors regular

they shouldn't. just call them to see before you go
    i got mine exchange with no question. the girl even didn't check if everything inside well.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if its unopened or defective. If You opened it and then try to return the computer a week later or two later you're on the hook for the restocking fee.

10. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whew...

OK, just got back from the Apple Store after exchanging my somewhat defective MBP 13".

All I can say is "whew..". First, they took the MBP inside for about 10 minutes to look at the the problem I described. Then they came out and told me it was good to their eyes and they don't really see the problem. But as I told them, it is a problem to me and it's annoying. They agreed to exchange it (yay!!!)...but....they would have to charge me for re-stock!!! Then my face just dropped and I began to justify my replacement. Then alsmot immediately, the person I was talking to said it's no problem, the fee will be waived. OMG, what an ordeal at the Apple Store. It took 30 minutes before I can leave the store with a replacement.

And I'm happy to say, my replacement is perfect!!! You guys know your stuff, thanks for the warnings. :)

11. Gianlusp macrumors member

I bought MBP 17" on 23 may I couldn't go back within 14 days because I'm working a cruise ship and we are in new orleans 1 time for week..next saturday I will try to bring back my MBP opened ,I will pay fee, and I will try to get new one upgraded (considering the price lower of 300$ payed just 2 weeks ago)...I'm not positive about it but I will try to be lucky as you..