Re: T2 Bridge OS crashes - revised T2 chip in Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Robotronic, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Robotronic macrumors newbie

Many of us are aware of the Bridge OS related crashes experienced on the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro, presumably caused by the new T2 chip. Today Apple announced the 2018 Mac mini, which of course has the T2 chip. Interestingly, they mentioned during the keynote, and it's on their marketing page here, that the T2 chip in the Mac mini "also features HEVC video transcoding that’s up to an incredible 30 times faster". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is new, and is not marketed as a feature for the iMac Pro or 2018 MacBook Pro. Could this indicate that the 2018 Mac mini contains a revised, second-generation T2 chip, and if so maybe they resolved the Bridge OS crashes?

2. ferbandie macrumors newbie

30 times faster HEVC transcoding is for the new 8º generation intel processor that have hardware transcoding, not for a new T2 chip

3. Robotronic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Intel chips have native encode/decode, Intel calls it Quick Sync Video. Apple is specifically stating that the T2 chip is performing the transcoding, look at their page I linked.

4. ferbandie macrumors newbie

Sorry I didn't see the link, I have searched in MacBook Pro and iMac pro T2 information and say nothing, so I don't know, but I Believe that it's the same chip

5. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

That's interesting... if the T2 chip is doing the decoding now, it doesn't mean the chip necessarily changed.. they may have just written firmware for it to do that job, taking it away from the main processor. Really interesting to see how they are evolving using it...

6. a4k04 macrumors member

I just had a bridge os crash. Seems this is not resolved.