Re-Training with Raise to Wake

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Bbqthis, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Anyone else find themselves accidentally turning off their display when they grab their phone running iOS 10 because they had gotten used to hitting the lock button to see their lock screen? I definitely have done it almost every time. It quickly had become muscle memory with the 6s family. Lift phone, hit lock button to see screen. Now I have to re-train...

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Does this feature only work on the 6s?

3. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Word is 6s, 6, and SE I think

4. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

You are right except for the standard 6 which doesn't get this feature.

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Or the 6 Plus. Doesn't seem to work on mine.

6. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

So basically just the ones with the new faster Touch ID sensor...

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Not really, SE is first-gen Touch ID, looks more like A9 phones.

8. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Not really. Since I got my Apple Watch I have lifted my phone and wondered why the screen won't lit up on regular basis. I was really pleased to hear about this feature on the keynote.

9. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

Sigh. It use the motion coprocessor to activate. ONLY the M9 on the newest models stays on when the phone is locked, hence why it will only work on the newest "S" models.

No conspiracy or anything- hardware limitation

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess part of the question there is if the M8/M7 co-processors can still apparently count steps and do all that kind of stuff while the devices are locked, seems like they stay on in the same circumstances as well.

11. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

I dont represent to know details of how any of it works. I can only assume its a power consumption issue with the older ones. There would be no reason to restrict such a minor feature to the newest phones.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess it's the details of it that would be of interest as otherwise we wouldn't really know one way or another.

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I think the M9 is a different beast compared to the M8/M7. The M9 is on die with the A9 and in addition to the basic accelerometer can access the compass, gyroscope, and barometer. Also, in the 6(not sure about 5s) there were multiple accelerometers one that was lower power but less accurate and the other more accurate but requires more power. The less accurate one can run nonstop without the battery taking a hit and is capable of tracking steps but maybe it isn't reliable enough at recognizing when the phone is being raised. Resulting in the screen turning on when it shouldn't and not turning on when it should.