Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I've read through the sticky "New to the iPhone World" by Jav6454, but it doesn't really help me (at least I don't think it does). Most of what I'm finding in Google searches is for unlocking an iPhone that has never been unlocked.

My friend (his mistake) upgraded iPhone 3G to 4.3.5 (at least that's what he says). When he saw that he had lost his unlock, he did a settings restore. Right now, I don't really know what firmware it's using. When I connect it to my Mac and run F0recast, it says 4.2.1 with a baseband 05.15.04 and Bootloader 6.4.

Is there any way to unlock this iPhone?

My apologies if this has already been addressed in another thread. I did do a search, but they didn't seem to address this particular situation (unlocked, upgraded to latest firmware, reset to factory settings, now stuck in restore mode).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
latest firmware for 3G is 4.2.1. As for now, the only way to unlock this phone is to install an iPad base and on it. 3g phone with bootloader higher than 05.08 can't downgrade its baseband.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
latest firmware for 3G is 4.2.1. As for now, the only way to unlock this phone is to install an iPad base and on it. 3g phone with bootloader higher than 05.08 can't downgrade its baseband.

Ok. That kind of makes sense, because iTunes says that it's up to date.

So I understand that if I install the iPad baseband, I might not be able to upgrade it? I have the iPad baseband on my 3GS, and it hasn't caused me problems yet.

I'll follow the instructions here - http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-up...00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/

Thanks!

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
So I understand that if I install the iPad baseband, I might not be able to upgrade it? I have the iPad baseband on my 3GS, and it hasn't caused my problems yet.
You can upgrade, but you can't use itunes. You have to wait for a jb released by pwnage or snowbreeze, depending on your os. Pwnage and snowbreeze don't always jb the latest ios either. For example, the last pwnage jb is 4.3.3, but there's a tethered jb for 4.3.5.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
You can upgrade, but you can't use itunes. You have to wait for a jb released by pwnage or snowbreeze, depending on your os. Pwnage and snowbreeze don't always jb the latest ios either. For example, the last pwnage jb is 4.3.3, but there's a tethered jb for 4.3.5.

From that link that I read, it said I could do it with iTunes. I'll have to download the ipsw and try it.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
From that link that I read, it said I could do it with iTunes. I'll have to download the ipsw and try it.

For you, it is working fine because you have a 3G iphone where the latest fw is 4.2.1.

Eastercat is talking about 3GS/Iphone 4 where new firmwares are coming out every few months to close the exploit. It will be a cat & mouse game between Apple and hackers on this.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
For you, it is working fine because you have a 3G iphone where the latest fw is 4.2.1.

Eastercat is talking about 3GS/Iphone 4 where new firmwares are coming out every few months to close the exploit. It will be a cat & mouse game between Apple and hackers on this.

Gotcha. The IPSW is taking quite a while to download (good ol 256 k connection). I'll post back once it's done.

Thanks!

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
So.... things haven't gone so well.

I did a restore with iTunes with 4.2.1, ran Redsn0w, put the iPhone in DFU mode and let it do it's thing. It seemed to do everything right, but when Redsn0w said it was done, and the iPhone was rebooting, it got stuck on the Apple logo. I did another restore with iTunes, redid Redsn0w and the same thing.

Any ideas?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
So.... things haven't gone so well.

I did a restore with iTunes with 4.2.1, ran Redsn0w, put the iPhone in DFU mode and let it do it's thing. It seemed to do everything right, but when Redsn0w said it was done, and the iPhone was rebooting, it got stuck on the Apple logo. I did another restore with iTunes, redid Redsn0w and the same thing.

Any ideas?

Which redsn0w version did you try? also, do you have a Mac or PC? if PC, is it running windows 7 or XP?

JunkyDog

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
try using snowbreeze v2.2.1 for ipsw 4.2.1 for the 3G iPhone, it worked for me, i am now fully jailbreaked iPhone 3G with snowbreeze.. :)

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
So I was able to get back down to 3.1.2. I jailbroke with Blackra1n, which worked, but then unlocking it didn't work. It's using the iPad baseband, and I'm not getting any network coverage. Wifi works fine though...

iPod Touch anyone?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
So I was able to get back down to 3.1.2. I jailbroke with Blackra1n, which worked, but then unlocking it didn't work. It's using the iPad baseband, and I'm not getting any network coverage. Wifi works fine though...

iPod Touch anyone?

In order for you to put the Ipad baseband onto your 3G phone, you must upgrade to at least 4.1 firmware. Otherwise, redsn0w will not recognize your firmware or does have option for you to do so.

Also, you must download Ipad 1 3.2.2 firmware onto your computer so redsn0w can flash and install it.

Here is what you need to do;
1. restore your to 4.2.1 with Itunes.
2. download Ipad 1 3.2.2 firmware onto your computer.
3. Jailbreak with redsn0w and install Ipad baseband.
4. Unlock with Ultrasn0w.

If you want to keep it this way, then find. If not, put your phone into DFU and downgrade it to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and then jailbreak. Your phone baseband will remain at 06.15.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I already had 4.2.1 (via iTunes), updated to the iPad bb, then tried to jailbreak with RedSn0w, but it didn't work at all. On the computer side, everything would finish up, but the iPhone would get stuff after running the exploit. So then I downgraded to 3.1.2 (with the iPad bb), jailbroke it with Blackra1n, and tried to unlock it, but that didn't work.

So right now, it's 3.1.2, iPad bb, jailbroken (Cydia et al is installed), but the unlock either didn't work (it will accept a foreign sim) or something else is wrong. The main problem is that it's not getting network reception.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I already had 4.2.1 (via iTunes), updated to the iPad bb, then tried to jailbreak with RedSn0w, but it didn't work at all. On the computer side, everything would finish up, but the iPhone would get stuff after running the exploit. So then I downgraded to 3.1.2 (with the iPad bb), jailbroke it with Blackra1n, and tried to unlock it, but that didn't work.

So right now, it's 3.1.2, iPad bb, jailbroken (Cydia et al is installed), but the unlock either didn't work (it will accept a foreign sim) or something else is wrong. The main problem is that it's not getting network reception.

Did you go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w?

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Did you go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w?

I feel like such an idiot. That worked fine. I'm tempted to upgrade back to 4.2.1, but I think for now (especially since it's just a 3G), I'll leave it on 3.1.2.

Thanks so much for your help and patience.

Seth

----------

Hmmm... the only thing now is that it gets stuck on rebooting SB. I'm not too worried about that. I might just do a fresh install of 3.1.2, rejailbreak and then reunlock all over again.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.