re-unlocking first gen iPhone for friend

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard.mac, Oct 2, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

my friend's mother bought him an unlocked first gen iPhone last year while she lived in Asia. recently it stopped working when he tried to upgrade from 1.1.4 (i think?) to version 2 firmware.

he has asked me politely to fix it as he knows im fairly savvy with Macs… but unfortunately i dont know much about iPhones as i dont own one.

seeing as though speak of hacking iPhones is tolerable on MacRumors i thought id ask a few questions before i have a crack at this.

how do i go about unlocking it to work on Vodafone? and do i need to jailbreak? i dont think his was jailbroken before as i remember there was no installer or cydia apps. theres so many apps/ways to do this when searching Google and MRoogle i just dont know where to start! also will i be able to upgrade to version 2 firmware just so i can show of how l337 i am and show him the new features?

thanks guys i know i cant count on you :D

2. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok sorry for being so daft, this is my first experiance with an iPhone and unlocking. i found this and PwnageTool worked fine. one question though can i still unlock with PwnageTool without installing Cydia and Installer? i would like the iPhone to be clean like before as i dont think he even knows how to use them.