Re-use iPad microSIM after cancelling data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aneftp, Jul 5, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Just went to the ATT store (they gave me a couple of spare MicroSIMs free of charge).

Anyways, I canceled my data plan for this month. I noticed I can't get the "3G" data icon next to the ATT on the upper left hand corner.

That means the microSIM card is "deactivated" I know with regular att sims, once a sim is deactivated, you can't reused it again.

But can you "reused the MicroSIM" on the iPad? The ATT store rep told me I can't. That's one of the reasons they gave me another microSIM.

I am trying to reused the original microSIM that I was using with my iPad 3g and I can't sign up for another data plan. Only if I use wifi will it let me sign up for the data plan.

So I am think the ATT rep is wrong? I can still re-use the micro SIM card that's originally came with my iPad 3g? If that's the case, why can't I access "view my account" under the cellular option under my iPad. I can only access it via wifi at this time.

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

My understanding is that you're supposed to be able to start and stop the data plan as much as you like without having to get a new SIM each time. Was there some specific reason your SIM needed to be replaced? Also, you're supposed to be able to activate (or re-activate) the data plan over 3G, not just wi-fi.