Reachability much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

Ok, now that everybody has been using their new 6/6+'s for a few weeks... is anyone blown away by reachability???

I try to use it every now and then but it just doesn't feel natural yet. My first inclination is to try and stretch my thumb to that hard-to-reach part of the screen. Next, my instinct is to shuffle the phone in my hand until I can reach my target area. At this point my thumb is nowhere near the home button. The last thing on my mind is reaching down to double tap. It just seems counterintuitive to me.

What's your opinion on reachability? Functional tool? Or total fail?

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Functional for me, I only use it when i really need to. Like carrying something with the other hand.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone 6 plus is not a phone that can easily be used with one hand. I love my IP6+ but I had to change how I use the phone, as opposed to my old 5c.

4. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I used the reachablility feature for the first couple hours that I had the plus, then I just held it differently(with two hands).

It's a useful option, but gets tiresome if you rely on it.

5. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Upper left corner

I didn't realize how much we use upper left corner on the iPhone until I got my 6, you are checking one email, you want to go to the next box... upper left corner... you want to switch pandora station, upper left corner... it's really the universal 'go back' in iOS

Reachability is OK on a good day. I tested a Nexus 5 before and I have to tell you Nexus (not Android) is much more usable with one hand; to go 'back', you dont' need the upper left corner, just hit the Back button. I know Ivy will never add a back button to the phone, so oh well.

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I use it but not that often. Usually just end up changing how I'm holding the phone so that I can reach where I need to reach.

7. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

I've used it some but agree with others. I've changed how I used my apps on my plus.

The apps I use most frequently are on the bottom of my screen now with the least used on top. With a smaller phone, I had it the opposite way.

8. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I'm with you there! I rearranged my home pages too (and I have a 6 not 6+). But I guess there are things you can't control, like where Apps put their 'back' item (upper left corner)

9. robertopod1968 macrumors member

10. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

What's really nice about Apple though is that instead of relying on the upper left corner to move stuff back, you can just swipe from the left and get the same effect, eliminating the need to stretch up to that corner

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Is this universal? Or just Apple apps? Or only Safari?

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Its universal for apple apps, but not for 3rd party. Its the devs choice if they want to implement it or not.

13. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I see. Thank you.

14. BeK macrumors regular

BeK

Reachability much?

I use it ALL THE TIME as it is a amazing function. I use my 6+ with one hand 90% of the time so Reachability is a must as far as I'm concerned. Using the 6+ without it would make using my device somewhat of a subpar experience of you ask me.

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

swipe from left to right.

16. cababah macrumors 68000

Not sure if you guys noticed but they finally included the tap the top of the page to quickly scroll to the top and swipe down to access notifications in reachability. Don't think those had been implemented pre iOS 8.1.

17. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Turned off. Fidget too much with the home button.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I use it when I'm reading a web page and want to scroll up

19. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Thanks, but that only works for Safari, for which anyway the back button is at the bottom. What I mean is go back in your app, go back from the inbox of one email to your mailbox overview to pick the next email. Go back from one Pandora station to switch to another one. Go back from a transaction detail in your banking app to see your account summary again.

20. nilk macrumors 6502a

For going back, swiping back is the way to go and has been since iOS 7. There are of course some apps that don't implement this or use that gesture for something else.

But there are so many other actions that are in the corners of the phone, and it's a tough reach, at least for my hands. I hope we some trends in UI design that change this and offer ways of performing these actions without reach the top corners of the phone.

I usually forget to use Reachability on my 6 and just end up shuffling the phone up and down in my hand. When I do use Reachability it feels like more work then it's worth. I actually wish I could assign double-touch-id to the app switcher instead.

21. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I thought it was corny at first and just a way to justify going against the whole one handed use philosophy. But now I use it many times throughout the day! Way easier than wiggling your hand up your iPhone to press something, or freeing up your second hand if you are already using it.

22. hrv888 macrumors 6502

Why does it not pull down the notification banner when you use reachability. I couldn't even use quick reply because I couldn't reach it when a message comes in. I thought they would've put it in iOS 8.1.

23. Nikacq macrumors newbie

The first couple days I only used reachability to test and just play with it even when I didn't need it. Now I use it all the time and I only have the iPhone 6. Sometimes I just wiggle my hand to get to the top apps and notifications. I really like knowing it's there.

24. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

For me it's harder to stretch the thumb down and double tap the home button than it is by shuffling it a bit and reaching the top of the screen. I've barely used it.

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When I got the phone, I didn't think I would use it much. I have large hands so I can still use the iPhone 6 is one hand pretty comfortably, but as the weeks have gone by, I find myself using it more and more. It definitely makes things a little easier, but my only gripe is that you have to initiate it after every single touch.