Reachability...on the 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xultar, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Xultar, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

So, it's been what now...6 months since the 6 plus release.

Are any of you using reachability? I thought I'd use it non stop. But I'm finding I can navigate the 6 plus 90% of the time one handed. I never use reachability. If reachability is activated I do it on accident.

What do you think of the feature after 6 months?

2. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

No, I don't use either. Thought I might do but no.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

4. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

The only time I use it is when I accidentally activate it. lol. Otherwise, no, I never use it. My wife (super small hands) never uses hers on her 6+ either.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've used it a few times but I could do without.

6. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I thought I was going to use it too. It was a great selling point for those hesitant to take on the plus due to size. I guess they felt they needed to provide some security for people that thought the phone was too big.

----------

Did you disable it?

----------

Did you or your wife disable it? I'm asking because I'm thinking of disabling it. I don't use it and I don't like it when I activate it accidentally.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Mine isn't disabled and I've never once activated it accidentally, but if you don't ever need it then just switch it off.

8. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I'm conflicted because I don't like it when I activate it accidentally but I like the security of it being enabled.

I know...strange, but I think that's what made it such a smart function to include on their first large phone. They knew people moving to it would want that security is pretty smart on their part.

9. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

No, didn't even think to do that.... now that you mention it, I'm going to disable it right now. :) But to answer your question, no, neither of us have.

10. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Man! I must have a different comfortable hold on my phone than you guys do! I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and have above average sized hands and I use reachability every day on my iPhone 6. I mostly use it when my arm is being held captive by my spouse and I have to reach things.

11. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I'm a woman...so even with average lady hands even if I used reachability one handed I still can't get to the far side of my phone regardless of the hand I use. To compensate I arranged my FUI (frequently used icons) on the right side of the phone.

As for captivity by one's spouse... I believe we can discuss that in a post in another forum. (But let's be sure we discuss it. I'm looking for details!)

----------

I disabled mine just now too. See if knowing its off impacts me in anyway.

12. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Haha gotcha. So basically none of you guys use reachability because theres no way reachability would help you? Its extremely helpful to me

13. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

What's with the haha gotcha?

Just because it's helpful to you it doesn't mean it's helpful to others.

I thought I would use it. I found that I don't need it. That's not a bad thing.

Also not needing it doesn't mean that it isn't helpful or can't be helpful. I and others just choose not to use it.

14. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I actually use it quite often. At least once or twice everyday/every other day. Pretty much only use it for safari though, everything else with controls at the top are pretty much just things with a back button (like in settings or messages) and I can just use the back gesture for that, so.

Overall, it's a nice feature. Not many use it though. Had to turn it off on my friends iPhone 6 because he had no idea why the screen kept jumping down and it was greatly annoying him apparently lol.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Same with me. I use it all the time on my 6 with apps where the back button is in the top left corner. I couldn't imagine getting to that corner one handed on a 6plus, then again my thumbs are pretty short compared to most men that are 6 ft 3.

17. Shikaka macrumors regular

I can think of so many better things that Apple could have used the double touch function for, other than reachability. At least make it user customizable. C'mon Apple!

18. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

19. gewawd macrumors member

gewawd

Your not using iOS's swipe gestures?

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I only use the double tap reachability because of the tweak "ReachApp" on Cydia which essentially allows for multi-tasking, dual windows running simultaneously. This is on my 6 however. So I'm glad it exists :)

If I had a 6+ not sure if I would actually use it either, I've handled my friends 6+ and it wasn't too hard for me to navigate one handed and reach, however I could see certain circumstances where it may be useful and of course, owning one would be a lot different, so I cant comment on its usefulness. One of those features that you appreciate or you dont appreciate, but it's nice that Apple included it anyway, and as someone pointed out, you can disable this if you wanted.

21. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I use it all the time because I use my plus one handed most of the time. I think it's a great feature after you get accustomed to using it.

I even find myself instinctively trying to use it on my wife's 5S!!

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

I have always used my prior iPhones with 2 hands like I do with my old HP business calculator. Same with 6 plus. It seldom occurs to me to use reach ability. That's even after having fine-tuned my app positions to take advantage of one-handed use.

23. identity macrumors 6502

Jailbreakers have already customized and improved reachability.

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I do in some apps but in apps like mail it's much harder to use consistently. Half of the time it marks the email vs going to the previous screen.