reachability on the plus size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doba87, Sep 12, 2016.

1. doba87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wanted to know if/ how much you use reachability on the plus. Does it make it easier to use this XL phone ? Or its just a gimick ?
    Im asking because i want to buy the ip7 plus but affraid from the size and the one hand use.

10X.

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I use it on my 6S+ all the time. Pretty convenient.

3. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I use it sometimes as well. It's easy to use.

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Agreed. Excellent feature that allows you to retain the same grip on your iPhone Plus without have to readjust it in your hands to navigate items at the top of the screen or any awkward holding positions that might make you prone to drop it.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Reachability -helps- but if one-handed use is very important, may not be enough.

Let's face it, the Plus screen is longer than the length of most people's thumb.

If you haven't already done so, go to an Apple store to try it out.

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Never use it, I have it turned off because I trigger it accidentally sometimes.

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I too eventually had to disable it, I kept activating it by accident.

Over time you just learn to handle the larger phone. The benefits outweigh the few negatives.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I use it all the time. Only thing I noticed that doesn't get pushed down is a notification on iOS 10.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I disabled it also and I have the smaller 4.7" display!

Some people swear by it and (I guess) some swear at it.

10. _mynameislee macrumors newbie

I don't use it a lot...but it does come in handy when only one hand's free. I can just about contort my thumb to reach the top of the screen for notifications etc, but if needed the quick double-tap on the home button is useful. Will be interesting to see how it works with the new iPhone 7/7 Plus, assuming the same kind of capacitive feel.

11. Bryonator1 macrumors newbie

I never use it. I find a grippy case is all that is needed for easy one handed use.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Once you have a big one in your hand, you'll never go back to a small one again! One-handing it is no problem.

13. Nozuka macrumors 68000

I didn't even know, that the smaller phone supports it too.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you are buying the plus with the intention of it being a "1 handed" phone you will be disappointed. I know people say they use it 1 handed, and you can to an extent, but it is not that effective or practical. It is a big phone and it is meant to be. The average person is going to struggle to send a text 1 handed with something in the other hand fast.

Just the 4.7", the SE or 4" phones do not.

15. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I use it when I'm feeling lazy, i.e. laying down in bed.

It does have it's usefulness and it isn't a gimmick.

When I went from the 5S to the 6S Plus, I thought the 6S Plus was too big. However, I like the screen real estate and couldn't see myself with a smaller screen in the future as the tradeoff is nice.

16. ender21 macrumors 6502

I didn't like Reachability too much but really only gave it a couple of shots. When I get the 7+ I'll try it out again.

What would be great would be if iOS allowed us a setting that toggled the location of the "home" icon location from which all others are placed. Right now that's the upper-left location. A settings toggle that pinned it to lower-right or left would allow much better one-handed use of the Plus-sized phones. It wouldn't solve every problem, but would make a dent. On my 6+ I had it jailbroken and used Homescreen Designer for this. Once I abandoned my jailbreak I used movemakr.io but eh. That's only so-so.

17. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I find it pretty useful in many situations, mostly when I'm using the phone one-handed. But I've also been more deliberate about where I place folders and icons (and icons in folders) to make sure the ones I use the most are within reach of my right thumb.

18. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

19. sdwaltz macrumors 6502