Reachability vs. One Hand Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrcsh6, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I realize this is sort of like yelling at the wall but why "Reachability"? Pulling down the whole screen and losing content when they could have gone with an adjustable scaling like the "One Hand Mode" that Android has. I'm guessing it comes down to not wanting to do it the same way but it makes so much more sense. You could scale down to the 4" screen we're used to or anything else. I really hope this argument is brought up and maybe allow for scaling/adjustments to be made by the user and not just shove it all down. (not holding my breath...)

Reachability

One Hand Mode

2. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

I noticed the "reachability" is this offered on the 6 or is it just for the 6+?

Is "reachability" where you double tap the home button and the screen drops down?

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think they did it this way to put pressure on developers to support swipe to go back. Of course you do have other buttons at the top as well, but the back button is typically the furthest for right handed users.

Also it makes hamburger menus a pain to use, because you will double tap, tap hamburger, double tap, tap menu item. But Apple doesn't like hamburger menus, so this is partially to try and force developers to rethink their app designs.

4. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

The way the Note 3 does it defeats the purpose of having a larger screen in my opinion.

5. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

I haven't thought it all the way through all scenarios, but it seems like it would be cool for non-scrollable pages -- scrollable pages don't seem to be a huge deal -- to be made scrollable in Reachability mode. Double tap the button and you can scroll the home screen down to reach the upper icons and tap one, for example. Loosely, like a scrollable zoom window.

6. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

But for me there will be times where I will just want a littler screen. Not to say I don't wanna go big. I just wish the user could determine the option to how they'd like. Just like resizing a photo, scale to size desired. That said well all know how Apple is about letting users choose their settings!