reactions to link bracelet after trying it on?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by andrewj, Apr 11, 2015.

1. andrewj macrumors regular

I've been debating between different bands for the 42 mm watch. Anyone try the link bracelet? I was pleased that the links came off easier than I anticipated.

On the other hand, while it does look nice, it seems harder to put on than the sport band or the Milanese band. It seems that it would be hard to do it all with one hand with the watch hanging off your wrist. Also the links seem to have some sharper edges than I anticipated.

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

You learn to put it on very easily over time, especially when you realize you can latch one side of the butterfly mechanism at a time.

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

They weren't taking links out of the band so it didn't fit me well. I ordered a link and Milanese though, so I'll just decide which I like more when they come.

I will say I was surprised how light it was, I just imagined more heft because it looked so heavy/big in photos.

4. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

i think the width of the links are to narrow... hoping there will be 3rd party links that are wider.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Way better looking than I was expecting. :eek: Made me want to spend the cash to get it.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If my former watch with the butterfly mechanism (which I stopped wearing thanks to the iPhone) is any indication, it's way easier to put on compared to a two-piece band. You just slip your hand through and close the clasp. Also more difficult to drop your watch while putting it on.

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Because of the iPhone? Wha..?

----------

Just for fun, I'll show you (OP) how easily I close my watch clasp. Apologies for the dirty watch, it has been quite a while since its last cleaning and resizing ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfAf3r5lfM

8. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Looks great in the photos/videos, can't wait to see it in person. It's the one I have wanted since the original announcement.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, we all have the time on our iPhones so what's the use of a dumbwatch?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

It's noticeably heavier than the other bands, but it looks nice. The links are easy to remove. At my try-on the rep showed me how.

11. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The butterfly clasp pinched me when I first went to put it on. This is most likely a design issue with the clasp being so flush with the rest of the bracelet. I like that the links come off with a simple press of the button and that they just link to each other for storage. The brushed look does look a little weird with the polished case and the decision to go with a single exterior link for the exterior look, does make it a little more calculator watch-ish. The one thing I did notice was how light the entire link bracelet was in comparison to my other 316L link bracelet. I do however really like that there are no pins and no screws for the links which means the entire link bracelet design is much better than even some other link bracelets I have used.

12. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

It's really nice - didn't fit me snugly during the try-on appointment but remove some of those links and it'd be great! Didn't end up going with it for my pre-order because it's too pricey. Maybe when I upgrade to the second gen.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's funny how people come away with the exact opposite impressions.

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I went a couple years thinking this, hated every second of it. I vastly prefer flicking my wrist to see the time whenever I need to know it. Dragging out a phone every time I wonder how much time has passed is terrible in comparison, and, knowing it was more effort to find the info, it made me want to know even more often. It's like a pocket watch. Antiquated and inefficient.

----------

Those reactions do not conflict at all. It can be unusually light and still the heaviest band.

15. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I wish I could have sized it when I tried it on, but it was amazing none the less. I'll be getting it.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then I direct you to KPOM's after try on thread where he made the following statement:

The link band is very heavy.

17. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

When I tried it on they didn't take any links out so I didn't see first hand how easy that was to do. It was also too big for me because they didn't size it but I did really like the look of it. I have a link bracelet style watch now so it was the most familiar to me. I tried on the Sport first and the link bracelet second and I noticed right away just how much weight it added. It's a pretty substantial difference. For the price and weight difference, I still prefer the Sport band but the link bracelet was quite nice.

18. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

This

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

There are a couple of posters running around the forum who like to complain that it looks cheap and plasticky, which is hilarious. They'll probably show up shortly.