Reactivate iPhone 3G in a different Country?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modernangel76, Jun 11, 2008.

1. modernangel76 macrumors newbie

Since the 3G iphone is UMTS/HSDPA and GSM/EDGE as well as the same version of the phone being shipped worldwide, if I move to another country will I be able to reactivate it on that locations approved network?

For example, I currently live in Tokyo Japan and plan on getting the iPhone on July 11th but it is possible I may be moving back home to the states within a year or less. Forgetting the cancellation fees I'm sure I will have to deal here in Japan will I be able to reactivate my phone with a new plan on ATT in the States?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

based on precedent...no!

eg you cant buy a US iPhone, pop the sim out, put in an o2 iPhone sim and expect it to work...

3. brewno macrumors 6502

4. HSquared macrumors newbie

HSquared

I've actually been wondering the same thing. I think it may depend on the carrier though. Someone needs to contact Apple and ask them about this. I've been trying to find some appropriate contact info, but I haven't been able to. This is really an important factor as whether or not I buy an iPhone at launch.

5. Cockroach macrumors 6502

I think the iPhone HW will be locked to a particular network SIM. (Except, maybe if unlocked ones are sold; Italy?)

6. HSquared macrumors newbie

HSquared

I think the hope is it'll be locked to all of the iPhone supported carriers. And even if it's not, I think by paying the contract termination fee, we should be able to switch to another iPhone supporting carrier. That's not unlocking per se, but just letting you, um, use their product in a different part of the world if you were to move there.

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

It's locked during the localisation stage - it is in the base band

i bought an iPhone on iDay in the US and was using it unlocked in the UK

when o2 released their pricing plans, it seemed a good idea to activate on the £45 month tariff and then get the discounted iPhone 3g. requested the iphone sim from o2, it didnt work. rang them up and said only iPhones sold in UK will work

8. HSquared macrumors newbie

HSquared

Yes, but the thing is, thats with the old iPhone. Or the current iPhone rather. Since the iPhone 3G is supported in so many more countries than it was before, there's just more hope that this will be possible.

However, your story makes more sense than previous theories. It makes me sad. :'(