Reactivate Windows 7 on new Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AnTaR3s, May 10, 2013.

1. AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey

I just ordered a new iMac to upgrade my old one which has become just too lame to keep up with my standards. ;)

Anyway, I have got one question:
    On my current iMac I use Boot camp and Windows 7 for games and I was wondering if I will have troubles installing this Windows 7 version on the new iMac...I have got Windows 7 Home Premium 1 Pack which, I think, means that I can install only one copy...

any help?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Most versions (non family pack) can only be installed to a single system ... at a time:

If you have a retail version of Windows 7, you will be able to transfer the license to the new iMac, although it may require a phone call to the automated authorization system. If you have a OEM copy, the transfer may not be approved as that was sold for a single installation with designated hardware.

-howard

3. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hmm, dammit. I've got OEM. :( So no gaming for a while on the new Mac...that sucks! :(

thanks anyway!

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

You can renew the 30 day activation grace period up to 3 times, giving you a total grace period of 120 days. The only detriments of not activating are that you have to go through a couple of extra clicks on bootup, the desktop will be black, and you get the occasional activation nag. Otherwise, Win 7 will be 100% functional, and able to access all updates. Also, the MS activation server retention resets after a period. I don't know how long that is for Win 7. It's 120 days for XP, and I was able to reactivate Vista after 6 months.