Reactivating an iPhone I just bought..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wjlafrance, Jul 26, 2010.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Next up in my series of dumb questions (many more to come, stay tuned!), I just bought an iPhone 3G and it came with a SIM. Looking under phone, I have a phone number too. How can I activate (I know that's the wrong term) the phone so I can make calls and whatnot? IE, set up a plan.

PS: The phone is activated. I can play with stuff over wifi and whatnot. At least, I think that means I'm activated.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

contact your local carrier to setup a plan and activate it.

3. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing I can do online?

Viva la AT&T store, I guess.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You can try connecting it to iTunes to see if it steps through setting up an AT&T account, but I doubt it will work. You need a new sim card. The one that came with the phone is no longer valid.

5. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, didn't work.

6. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Call up AT&T's sales dept. They should be able to set up most of your account over the phone.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's really easy...
    Do you already have AT&T service? Then there is no need to go to store. Put your ATT sim card and it will work right away. You have to sync it with itunes to transfer your information.