Reactivating iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkshadow1337, Oct 1, 2008.

1. darkshadow1337 macrumors newbie

i am selling my iphone 3g to a friend of mine who just wants to use it as an ipod. If i erase everything on the iphone and restore it, how do i reactivate it for him so that he can get to the ipod program on it and do all the other stuff on the iphone except for the phone features.

2. Medi-Swab macrumors newbie

If your phone is legit, you can just restore it and reativate it in itunes, then take out the sim and it will basically be an ipod touch.

3. darkshadow1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

so this means that when i get my new iphone 3g and sell mine to my friend, i can use one sim card (which is the one i am going to transfer to my new iphone 3g) to activate 2 iphones and the sim will still work in my new iphone and just activate the old one that im selling?

4. Medi-Swab macrumors newbie

Hmmmm, im not sure on this. I dont know how it works as i suspect it would be different with each individual carrier in each country. I would recommend using the ERASE ALL DATA option in settings. This will effectively make is like a brand new phone.

SETTINGS> GENERAL> RESET> ERASE ALL DATA AND SETTINGS

5. darkshadow1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. so this method to erase the iphone using "Settings> General> Reset> Erase all data and settings" is better and prefered over doing a Restore in iTunes

6. Medi-Swab macrumors newbie

I dont know about preferred but if the phone is working fine and your no sure if you can activate it again then just do this. It basically returns the phone to the condition it was straight out of the box.