Read and Replied Emails on iPhone do not sync to laptop Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Takuta-Nui, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Takuta-Nui macrumors regular

Hello all:

Funny problem I have with Mail syncing. I searched this forum and looked through dozens of topics, but none seemed to quite fit my circumstances.

What I do is, if I get an email on my iPhone while I'm away from home and my wireless network, I read and answer it with the iPhone. Then when I get home, I open Mail on my laptop and it "gets" the same email, marked as unread with no record of a reply. Perfectly natural.

Then I plug in my iPhone and it syncs - I do specifically see the "Syncing Mail accounts" portion on iTunes - but the emails on my laptop remain unread and the reply email does not appear in the sent mail folder. That hardly seems synced to me, and I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Anybody help? =)

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

What protocol are you using? Have you tried changing both to IMAP?

3. Takuta-Nui thread starter macrumors regular

Please dumb it down for me! I have no idea what you are asking. =P

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There are two main protocols for connecting the mail servers. POP3 and IMAP. IMAP keeps all the mail on the server, and so if checking on multiple devices everything will be kept in sync. POP3 does not to this.

You want to use IMAP protocol (if your email provider supports it).

5. Takuta-Nui thread starter macrumors regular

I use Hotmail, but I wouldn't know how to go about finding out if it supports IMAP. Right now I see POP3 in my settings.