Read and write speeds for Apple's 768 SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bill phillips, Jan 17, 2013.

1. bill phillips macrumors regular

Wondering all you out there who chose the 768 such as myself, have any of you done a speed test on your ssd? what have your results been? I have a macbook pro that i recently installed a samsung 840 pro ssd 256 gb, installed 16 gb ram as well...i get around 500 read 520 write on average from the samsung using black magic disk reader...So i must say i am a little "annoyed" for lack of better word ( because i do love my iMac and the speed) that the my iMacs 768 gets around 435 read 455 write on average...Now that being said its only a difference about 2 seconds on startup time and negligable difference as far as daily use...Im just saying its a little annoying paying 1300 bux and getting slower read and write speeds than pay 250 bux for my 840 pro and getting faster speeds...Anyway thanks for listening and if im out of line for all you mac lovers im sure youll flame on lol...peace!

2. nemesis379 macrumors member

Welcome to the world of 'upgrade' apple pricing.

3. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

yessir! i agree

4. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else got these speeds as well? I think i saw somewhere before someone put up a screen shot of around the same numbers....wheres all my 1300$ club members? probabally working to pay for their ssd lol...jk

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Well I think you hit the nail on the head... in real world use, those are both blistering fast speeds and most users would have a real hard time noticing the difference.

In some tasks people have a hard time telling the difference between mechanical HD and SSD.

Keep in mind that Apple probably began development of the late 2012 iMac almost a year earlier and test the hell out of parts, so they likely specced a very specific blade SSD as the upgrade option in the 2012 iMac, even if later/greater SSDs have arrived on the scene since then.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I seriously doubt the 840 Pro boots up 2 seconds faster...

7. hfg, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Sounds about right ... do you realize what a 840 Pro might cost if it was available in a 768GB single drive size in todays market? Probably much more than $1300! OCZ has a nice 1TB unit ... for $2500!

I am currently running mine with the 768GB internal SSD devoted to OS X and Windows. Then, I attached a Promise Technology Pegasus J4 Thunderbolt enclosure where I have created a 1.25TB Fusion drive and a 2TB Time Machine Backup. I use the Fusion drive for archive documents, older programs, archive downloads, misc. stuff, and large slow music, video, and movie storage. The J4 is really tiny (uses 4 laptop sized drives), cool, and quiet with 1 Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD and 3 ea. 1TB 7200rpm hard disks. I am really pleased with this setup!

Anyway ... here is mine with 4GB test file size:
    Left: Internal 768GB SSD ................ Right: External J4 1.25TB Fusion Drive

Attached Files:

8. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Blade ssd' are just not as fast as full size 2.5 ssd are. That is why I went fusion, it gives me the opportunity to upgrade to a 1tb 2.5 inch ssd in the future.

9. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

yea thats a good point as well, i was thinking that myself..

----------

yup looks just like mine, and yea your right, i realize that price wise...I was talking more along the lines of the speed...Glad you have the same numbers as i do, i basically wanted to make sure mine seemed to be in the normal range because i had been use to the samsung read and writes and when i initially ran the speed test on my imac it seemed a little off.

----------

thats a really cool way to setup your mac by the way...I never thought of that...I dont have that much to store as of yet, but i might have to steal this idea from you in the near future

10. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Fusion ...you know you get more noise from HDs, more heat, and also constantly waiting for the HD to spin up. With all SSD this is a thing of the past. I'm enjoying my late 2012 SSD iMac very much, thank you. :)