Read, edit, then export back to WMV Format

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mork, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

I have a client that needs a WMV file edited.

From reading the various posts here, it seems like flip4mac is the best choice.

However, from looking at this vendor's Web site, it looks like I would need the $49 version so I could read the file into Final Cut Pro, edit it there, and then *export* the '.mov' file (?) back to WMV format.

Is this how it would work?

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to best do this type of import->Edit->export of wmv files.

Thanks.

- m

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that is the way. Keep in mind, though, that with the $49 package you only get one, pretty low quality preset. The more expensive packages are better if you need better quality.

3. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good, thank you for your reply! :)

- m

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Why is he insisting on WMV? Why not give him a Quicktime file and he installs QT?

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I deal with that issue on a daily base.

Quicktime? What the doesn't know, the farmer doesn't eat.

6. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I can't dictate to the paying client what format he gets from "his" client.

Although this raised a good point. Perhaps I can just use Handbrake and convert the WMV to MP4 and edit it in Final Cut Pro and then just save it. That should work, technically, right (assuming the client will accept an .mp4)?

- m

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Happens all the time. Like people turning up with a PDF and asking for edits.

"No, I don't know where the original is. Can't you just edit this?"

I've had people send me scanned docs turned into PDF images (no OCR) from documents that they could actually obtain if they spent 5 minutes looking.

The advantage of being a servant of the public is I get to say "no, can't do. bye."

I had the $49 version for ages and it was OK. The presets are pretty good for my purposes. When used with MPEG Streamclip, you get access to all sorts of parameters.

I recently upgraded to Studio Pro HD so I could handle the larger frame sizes.

8. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting info.

Your points above notwithstanding, I am using PDFPen Pro to edit PDFs and it seems to work well most of the time. :)

- m

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

And I use Acrobat Writer - but having the documents in their original format makes life much easier. Just like in video.

I swear people should have to pass some sort of computer literacy test to get a job. And have Comic Sans removed from their PCs.