All Devices Read email not registered on other devices

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Hello. I don’t know if this is the right section for such questions, but here I go...

I changed my personal mail from google to iCloud last year, and I’m kinda regretting it, especially knowing that I now can’t change it back.. My issue is when recieving an email on my my iPhone and read it, it will still stay unread on both iPad AND Mac, meaning I have to open the mail app on all 3 devices before it registers it. It irritates me to d*ath! What can I do? What do you guys do, who do use @icloud.com?

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
This is something that I always hated about iCloud email. When I tried it years ago, it would drive me bonkers when I’d be at my desk / Mac during the day going through email, and then when picking up my iPhone to go the lock screen would be littered with mail notifications, all of which are now outdated.

For whatever reason, iCloud pushes new mail items to all devices, but they don’t push read / delete / action updates. These only occur once you open the device / mail app and it refreshes.

Depending on the mail service, some do push all changes. Fastmail.com is an excellent example. After trying so many email service providers over the years, I came across fastmail (from these forums 4 years ago) and have been extremely happy with it.

Right off the bat, it was the only mail service that pushes new mail items, read status, flag status (including colours), delete action through the native mail app on Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Here’s that one thread for reference: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...loud-email-with-your-own-domain-name.1845708/

achappy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
I switched to iCloud mail back in the Fall and was surprised to see this is how read mail behaved. But then I researched and saw that this appears to be a design decision dealing with IMAP IDLE to probably help with battery performance. Also, if new mail is pushed to the device, then the read status is updated.

For me, it's only an issue on my iPad and iPhone. On my iMac with the native mail app, read status is pushed correctly. I don't get many emails luckily so I've kind of accepted that's how it works. The other benefits of using iCloud for me outweigh that negative.

teeshot44

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2015
US
Hello. I don’t know if this is the right section for such questions, but here I go...

I changed my personal mail from google to iCloud last year, and I’m kinda regretting it, especially knowing that I now can’t change it back.. My issue is when recieving an email on my my iPhone and read it, it will still stay unread on both iPad AND Mac, meaning I have to open the mail app on all 3 devices before it registers it. It irritates me to d*ath! What can I do? What do you guys do, who do use @icloud.com?
I gotta ask, why "can't" you change back?

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I switched to iCloud mail back in the Fall and was surprised to see this is how read mail behaved. But then I researched and saw that this appears to be a design decision dealing with IMAP IDLE to probably help with battery performance. Also, if new mail is pushed to the device, then the read status is updated.

For me, it's only an issue on my iPad and iPhone. On my iMac with the native mail app, read status is pushed correctly. I don't get many emails luckily so I've kind of accepted that's how it works. The other benefits of using iCloud for me outweigh that negative.
Good point re read status updates coming along with new items being pushed. I should have mentioned that earlier.

The thing with IMAP_IDLE and helping battery performance was the reasoning from way back (to early days of iPhone) I believe. Bit odd though as Fastmail pushes read status with IMAP_IDLE. I imagine these days there's other apps and such that we use which are much more significant in terms of battery use than email.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I gotta ask, why "can't" you change back?
Well, i registeret my Apple id (iCloud) with a Gmail, and it wasn’t until almost 2 years ago that Apple let costumers create an @icloud.com email and set it as their primary email attached to your Apple ID. However, once you made that call you couldn’t go back. That’s at least what they said at the time.
- - Post merged: - -

I experience it on all devices. It pushes it, but won’t register to all devices that I already read it on my iPhone perhaps. What are the benefits for you? I now have too many emails, an iCloud, google, my uni mail and my work mail... it’s literally a havoc. As of now, I use my iCloud email for everything Apple related... but I don’t know if I should continue using my gmail for apps like Spotify, podcast, instagram, Twitter, ASOS, OneNote and all that..

Last edited:

achappy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
I experience it on all devices. It pushes it, but won’t register to all devices that I already read it on my iPhone perhaps. What are the benefits for you? I now have too many emails, an iCloud, google, my uni mail and my work mail... it’s literally a havoc. As of now, I use my iCloud email for everything Apple related... but I don’t know if I should continue using my gmail for apps like Spotify, podcast, instagram, Twitter, ASOS, OneNote and all that..

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Was there supposed to be a reply or Was the quote to hint something? :)

achappy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017

Ooops :) I replied but deleted and changed. Not sure what happened. The gist of it was that I switched to iCloud as a clean slate. I have an old Comcast email that I've had for about 10 years and I was forwarding it to Outlook so I could have push email. But then I started getting emails from the UK from someone who had almost had the same email as me without one letter.

So I created two new iCloud emails. One for personal use and the one I give out to family and to use for sites I use for my son's sports. The other for social media sites and other sites for registration purposes (eBay, Amazon, etc). This all allows separation of emails coming in and if I ever need to start over, I'll just create another alias.

VineRider

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2018
why can’t you just use your Gmail account by adding it as an email account? I use hotmail as my primary email but iCloud email address for my Apple ID. works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.