Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevejobbers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
anyone know a way (or if it's even possible) to read data off a hard drive inside a busted imac? i've been told by apple repair i have a broken logic board and they want hundreds of dollars to fix it. i don't plan on repairing it...

i will go back to get my machine though, and i was wondering if there is any way, after i take it apart, to read the data off the HDD (which had been functioning perfectly).

thx!!

stevejobbers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
does anyone know what size HDD (2.5 inch or 3.5 inch) my iMac uses (20" model oct 2007)? also, what interface would i need for the hard drive enclosure (IDE? SATA? eSATA?)

thanks!!!

stevejobbers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
thx! i just placed an order for one. now i just need to figure out how to disassemble my imac... hopefully there are steps online somewhere.

stevejobbers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
once i assemble the external drive with my imac's drive is there anything else special i would need to do to access the files? other than just connecting it via USB to a computer?

DDavis020

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
same issue

I have the same issue with a failed logic board. I want to know the same thing, if I can take the hard drive out of her 3rd gen Imac and place it in a 2nd gen Imac and if it will work. Her current Imac is a G5, not Intel, so I think it would be ok, but I'm not %100 sure.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Are both of you with dead iMacs sure that the logic board is gone? Take a look at my post from yesterday. Before you remove the hard drive, it might be a good idea to see if replacing the battery works, though you'll have to take the computer apart in any case. Just a thought.

DDavis020

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Are both of you with dead iMacs sure that the logic board is gone? Take a look at my post from yesterday. Before you remove the hard drive, it might be a good idea to see if replacing the battery works, though you'll have to take the computer apart in any case. Just a thought.

I did try this initially, because upon inspection of the logic board there were two bulging capacitors, but they were not burst, and I had read others tried this successfully, so I did replace the battery at first, but it made no difference, thanks for the suggestion though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.