Read (hybrid) SACD on MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lewis82, Sep 20, 2010.

1. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm willing to buy an hybrid CD/SACD album (because it only exists in this version). Does anyone have experience with these? Does it work in the Superdrive?

Also, do you know of a SACD reading app?

2. The General macrumors 601

If you can put a hybrid SACD in a CD player and read it, then it should be readable in any CD reading computer.

You wouldn't have access to the SACD layer. Is that what you're trying to accomplish?

3. lewis82 thread starter macrumors 68000

lewis82

Since my iPod isn't 5.1, I will most likely use the CD layer. I just wanted to be sure that it would work (there might be some incompatibility, I don't want to waste money).

However, I wouldn't mind using the SACD audio if there is some software that supports it. It looks faisible, as the media is physically identical to a DVD.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You can't make use of the SACD layer - not only can the drive not read it, but the data is also in pulse-width-modulation format (the basis of why SACD is better). By going onto your iPod or iMac (which is pulse-code-modulation based), you'll be adding quite a lot of distortion on top of the distortion already caused by the PWM of the SACD.

It's like recording a record onto a CD - you lose a lot of the qualities of vinyl, and instead just end up with the distortion of both formats added together...

5. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Isn't the hybrid disks supposed to work like a regular cd on non sacd players?
    If the quality sucks from doing that why would they bother to put the cd layer on it?

Edit: Check wikipedia SACD - Disk Reading
    There are no apps to rip the SACD layer that I know off. SACD didn't really take off. Too many people happy with their crappy records at 128kbps..