READ: John Gruber's "Complex"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Apr 2, 2009.

1. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Pretty good little blog post. ;)

http://daringfireball.net/2009/04/complex

"The iPhone was not conceived merely as a single device or a one-time creation. It’s a platform. A framework engineered for the long-run. The iPhone didn’t and doesn’t need MMS or a better camera or a video camera or more storage or cut/copy/paste or GPS mapping or note syncing, because the framework was in place so that Apple could add these things, and much more, later — either through software updates or through new hardware designs. The way to build a complex device with all the features you want is not to start by trying to build a device with all those features, but rather to start with the fundamentals, and then iterate and evolve."

...click the link for the whole article.

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Bull. Apple limits whats on the current device so that you may upgrade to a newer device with more features. It didnt really take apple 2yrs to figure out copy and paste, 3.0 is a reaction to the competition ahead. Iphone 3g weas my last apple product, ever.

3. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Wow. I agree with you on the "reaction to competition" but 3G your last :apple: product?!

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Its not set in stone. Im not an apple guy apart form the ipod touch and iphone.

5. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Hehe, neither am I. I'm here for the iPhone and that's it for now. I'll make other upgrades when the finances permit later on.:cool:

6. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

My favorite part of the article...

"There’s not much I’d say I’m certain about regarding future Apple products, but I’m absolutely certain that eventually there will be an iPhone with a combination of CPU, RAM, and battery life that Apple deems suitable for third-party app background tasking. All they’ll have to do is turn it on.

iPhone OS 3 is an impressive year-over-year improvement over iPhone OS 2, which itself was an impressive year-over-year improvement over iPhone OS 1.

But we ain’t seen nothing yet."

Man, that would be such a sweet upgrade this summer.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If Gruber is right, then all the 'iPhone killers' have failed to kill the iPhone because they did too much too fast and thus didn't do those things well. If he is right then the Palm Pre and eventually Android will be the biggest competitors to the iPhone specifically BECAUSE they weren't first.

If you are right, then RIM's and Windows' try-everything-at-once approach will be the more successful game plan.

So who's going to come out ahead? I'm putting my money on Palm and Google. In other words, I agree with the essay.

You could eventually be proven correct, but things aren't looking so good for you, sales numbers-wise, at the moment.

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I also saw this post yesterday, it's really interesting!
    You guys should read his blog judst for the jackass of the week post, that's epic!

I also agree with what he writes taking it slow is what makes the iPhone easy to use, and that's important.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I think if Apple made the best phone ever, how would they update it in the future? So, they make the best phone ever, then leave out tons of stuff then over a period of x amount of years, slowly introduce each thing... hardware and software.

More sales for Apple

10. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

what is the point he is trying to get across? I didn't even want to finish reading, just seemed like he was babbling on about random subjects

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Bull? Iunno man... Didn't they try to rush push notification? And now they are finally coming out with it? It's because they can finally do it right and have it energy efficient.

Two main things I'd like to see improved in the new phone is better battery life (even though I can go 1-2days without any problems whatsoever) and storage. Otherwise I could care less. I mean it is a mobile device... I think it's impressive for what it is with an outstanding battery life. But that'll continue to improve and go along. People you gotta have patience. I mean seriously, did you see what they have done in a YEAR?! A YEAR!!!! Back in the days where it most likely took them a year to just improve a computer to be 10KB faster.

Man, some of you guys are just fricken spoiled little pansy. Like seriously... Why don't you see it for what it is worth? They aren't god. They have limited resources, they have limited number of people working on it, THEY DO NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT AFTER ALL! I've seen a great job done on this device and give it by far an A+ for the progress it has made given the time.

And if it isn't what you want with all the gimme now crap you want, it is simple, don't buy it. And if isn't worth the price to you, don't buy it. Simple as that, don't sit and complain they haven't done improvements. Now if you were to do talk to Apple as criticism or suggestions? Then maybe they want to hear it. Or if you wanna talk suggestions or ideas to do to the phone on here, great! It's fun to think of new ideas, such as being able to connect your phone to your computer and talk using the mic and speakers.

Fricken spoiled people.

Btw, I'm not angry, I'm annoyed for those who try to rip on a device that has far done a great job and does EXACTLY what it is meant to do.

Oh, and yes I do hate dropped calls but don't we get that on all phones?

12. firewood macrumors 604

3.0 also runs on current iPhones, and will very likely be a free upgrade for all iPhones.

No need to upgrade devices for all the features in 3.0.

Try again.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No doubt about it; it's been confirmed by Apple:

"iPhone customers will be able to download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free this winter" - Press release.

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Very definitive!

And what evidence/experience/qualifications do you have that enables you to make such statements?