Read Only Keychain element (from Sophos)

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by MacMan988, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have Sophos Antivirus installed and I just removed it (I removed it using the provided uninstaller). But still theres a Keychain called Sophos in the Keychain Access. How do I remove it?

[​IMG]

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to delete that entire keychain. Go up to the top left and right click where it says Sophos then select delete keychain.

3. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The item called "Primary Server" is has disappeared now! If I right click on the "Sophos" item from the Keychains pane at the top left, it brings up a menu that has "New keychain..." and "Add keychain" in it. Delete option is not there. left click doesn't do anything.

[​IMG]

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... okay let's try this.

Quit Keychain first.

Open Finder then click the Go menu then Go to Folder... then one by one paste in the path(s) below and hit enter. Look in each of those Folders for the Sophos entry and delete it. You may need to logout then log back in to make it go away from Keychain after the delete.

Code:
    ~/Library/Keychains
    /System/Library/Keychains
    /Library/Keychains

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure if this method is appropriate in this situation, but this is another method for totally deleting an app.

6. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is supposed to have Sophos in its name right? I'm not seeing any keychains containing "Sophos" in the file name in any of those folders.

I opened the keychain list from the Edit menu of the Keychain Access and it lists down the path as :

Macintosh HD > Library > Sophos Anti-Virus > Sophos.keychain

But I don't see a "Sophos Anti-Virus" folder in Macintosh HD > Library directory.

And it seems I can remove those entries from the Keychain List window. Will it be a proper removal if I remove it from there?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If there is nothing in that Sophos folder it sounds like the Keychain app entry is just a phantom entry left over from the uninstall routine you ran and it would be safe to delete.

8. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I removed it from the Keychain List and dismissed that dialog box. But the Sophos keychain remains in the top left pane. When I re-open the Keychain List, it appears again :(

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sneaky bastard huh!

Let's try just searching in Finder for "sophos" like in my example. Click the little plus next to the save button and add system files are included like I have.

[​IMG]

10. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that too. Nothing comes up apart from a bunch of html files.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... I don't get it. So if you open Finder then Go and Go to folder and paste in the below you don't see the Sophos folder there at all?

Code:
    /Library

12. Negritude macrumors 6502