Read only problem with Lacie 2tb Thunderbolt Drive w/ MBP in boot camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbykasthuri, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bobbykasthuri macrumors newbie

Hey All
    I have the Lacie 2tb thunderbolt drive that I can now 'see' in Boot camp with windows 7 using mac drive pro. Unfortunately, I can not change the drive from read only (I have tried to change it in bot OS X (Lion)and Win 7 but it does not 'take' i.e. when you re-open properties it still says read only). Any suggestions would be extremely helpful and thanks in advance (its 15" 2011 MBP). I have the latest version of bootcamp and the 2 1 TB drives in the Lacie are Apple Raid.

thanks
    BK

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

By default, the LaCie drive is configured as two drives striped together as one RAID volume.

If you wish to use the drive for R/W capability with both Windows as well as OS X, you'll have to use Disk Utility to reconfigure the drive as two independent drive volumes. Boot Camp does not support the RAID striping available to OS X users.

4. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup once I made it two separate drives I could r/w to both (even when one was Mac os formatted). Can I now put in a windows based RAID?
    Thanks
    Bk

5. Bear macrumors G3

If you put it in a windows based raid, you won't be able to read it when running OS X.

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

And you will experience poor performance. The Windows RAID driver is not very efficient.

7. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your advice.

take home message:
    there is no way to have drives in raid that can be accessed in both os x and via boot camp. frustrating but good to know...

best
    BK

8. feamster macrumors newbie

Hardware raid

I thought that the Lacie raid was an external hardware raid meaning that the operating system couldn't tell that it was a raid (if striped), just much faster. Now if the drive was being accessed from windows with mac drive pro the latest version has a user switch to make the partition read only. So is the Lacie raid a software or hardware raid? I was thinking of getting one of these is why I am asking. (incidentally if a external hardware raid (with just the one connector to the box) it should have been partitionable and much faster than as 2 separate drives). I have several lacie little big disks and the os doesn't know that it's raided.

9. kgallag1 macrumors member

LaCie Little Big Disk

There is one solution I found that works, though it costs a bit. You can get a program called MacDrive Pro. It allows you to read Mac OS RAID volumes in Windows. I can confirm it works, I have a little big disk (1tb version) and am able to read and write to the Mac raid volume

10. Data macrumors 6502

thunderbolt lacie raid 0 booting osx ?

Hello all, has anyone tried to boot osx from a raid 0 thunderbolt lacie drive yet,does that work ?