Read Receipt

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjobes, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bjobes macrumors regular

Does Apple have any plans to add a feature that will ask if you'd like a read receipt sent or not? The simplest of features cant even make it into this thing.:(

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well as the desktop Mail.app in OSX can't do this at the moment I'd say it's not high on their list of priorities.

It is worth noting that read receipts are not really part of the mail standard: they are largely provided by optional and proprietary extensions to the standard...

3. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

i don't use it as a profession or even FOR a profession. honestly if i wanted a phone that was most ideal for business purposes i would get a blackberry. maybe you should too

4. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Not everyone uses or needs read receipts.

And PredatoryWasp86 is right - if you really need features as non-ubiquitous as read receipts, maybe the iPhone is not for you.

How do you use a phone as a profession?

5. calvy macrumors 65816

read receipts are stupid on email anyway. I have my outlook client set to never send out read receipts just to piss off people who think they need a read receipt on every email they send out. Email isn't supposed to give you a tcp like acknowledgment of receipt.

6. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I disagree... Apple is pushing the iPhone into the business sector by providing (some) integration with MSX and HSBC is even looking at ordering 200,000 iPhones to replace their BlackBerrys with the iPhone.

Asking about return receipt functionality is completely germane to the manner in which the iPhone is currently being marketed by Apple. I'm sure if Apple receives enough requests for this feature from businesses adopting the iPhone they will add it.

PredatoryWasp86 is not right to criticize someone for asking about a feature that is ubiquitous across email in the business sector. His reply provides no useful or substantive input to the discussion other than to say "Look, I'm a Smart @$$"

If you're using your iPhone in a non-business fashion, great! But don't comment with wise @$$ remarks when someone else asks a perfectly legitimate questions about using an iPhone in a manner consistent with the way it is being marketed, but different from the way you use your iPhone.

7. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

my first point was that all phones aren't going to have every single feature and there are some things everyone will have to live without based on their choice of phone. in my case, warm chocolate chip cookies.

my second point was "Look, I'm a Smart @$$"

but i'm still trying to figure out what a Smart At Dollar Dollar is

8. Ori macrumors 6502

Aren't you big an clever. In my industry we rely on read receipts as confirmation that an order has been received. It is agree between us so we don't waste time replying. Stupid is it? Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean that others mustn't like it either!
    What about delivery reports? They are sometimes useful.

To my knowledge it is only a year ago that blackberry added read receipts onto their software. I have no idea why Apple don't have it as options on their mail clients, but then again neither does entaurange.

I personally don't have a huge use for it from my mobile, but I would welcome it with open arms for those occasions when I do need it. It's a bit like MMS for me! It should be on the phone!

9. bjobes thread starter macrumors regular

With Apple now touting Exchange as I viable email client, they need to get onboard with features us Exchange users (or others that use receipts too) have become accustomed to. As a “corporate user” my company and others like me are bringing big bucks into the network now. They (Apple) wanted corporate users by bringing Exchange into the fold. I have many users complaining now that read receipts are going out without consent of the user. That isn’t right. If Apple wants to play in this game get with the program then.

Sorry, it’s not just your daddies IPod anymore folks it’s a tool that can actually generate revenue not just drain mommy and daddies bank account.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you provided feedback to Apple? Unfortunately posting on these forums doesn't mean that Apple notice or will do anything...

11. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

apple entered into the corporate world less than two months ago, so it seems obvious that they wouldn't have everything figured out already

average consumers are still their primary target, not business users

12. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I don't disagree with your other points but please, stop with this. I'll say this again: different people all expect different feature sets from a mobile phone. You expect read receipts, delivery confirmation, maybe MMS, whatever, and that's fine. Other people don't expect that. That doesn't mean that they are children who use their phone as a toy and leech off their parents' money. That doesn't even make any sense.

13. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

my parents are dead :eek::eek:

actually i just thought my parents were dead and that i was from an alien planet, but it turns out they're really mutants who aren't allowed on the surface

dude my parents are mutants, how could they afford to buy me an iphone?

14. bjobes thread starter macrumors regular

Well sorry but being the father of four yes I personally feel the brunt of new technology by the thousands.

I'll try and refrain.

15. dancavallaro macrumors regular

What does that have to do with any of this? Stop buying your 4 kids the latest and greatest gadgets if it's such a financial burden on you.