Read this before you by an iphone - features you might miss in real live

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by odysseus2, Aug 16, 2008.

1. odysseus2 macrumors newbie

I am an Apple user since 14 years and was awaiting my new iPhone for 5 weeks - now having it in hand since three days I consider it not really Apple-like in some points. I am quite disappointed and wonder how Apple can bring out this hyped phone as a smart phone that cant do the following features that are standard on competing phones from Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, and ohers:

My biggest disappointment: even when using Ical on your Mac you cant sync your to-do list from ical on your mac to the iphone
    Your daily time schedule is not shown on your scree saver life with the Nokia N90
    You cant store sent or received sms messages in differnet folders like "draft" or "stored", and you cant sent a draft to several people- every cheap phone has that feature
    The battery is way below standard operating times - my old Sony Ericsson W810 gave me battery power for 4 days - my i phone is empty after one
    Its not possible to make little movies with the camera
    You cant send pictures added to an sms (mms)

There are some points I really like: the screen is great, the routplanner works fine, and the browser is good and fast - but who need a GPS in daily live on his cellphone?

I wrote all that in a feedback to Apple, and hope they will improve the software, so the iphone will really become a full featured smart phone that comes up with Appels standards.
    Christian

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

3. profetto macrumors regular

Comparing the battery life of the iPhone to the Sony Ericsson W810 is like comparing apples and oranges.

The Ericsson doesn't do nearly as much as the iPhone nor is nearly capable of most of the stuff the iPhone can do, between 3G, push, etc. its obvious the iPhone battery can only last a day, which is quite comparable to other phones which it competes with.

As for your other features you miss, there are other things the iPhone has, small things at that, that other phones do not possess, ways to help you work around what you used to have.

It's very very unfair to come from another phone and expect the iPhone to be able to act exactly like it. The iPhone is what it is and is capable of so much, but little things like not being able to have a call schedule on a screensaver is just silly to be upset over.

You know what you were getting into when you bought the iPhone.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

You forgot 'can't set your own MP3 files as a ringtone'. :eek:

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

incorrect.

yes you can.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

With an app from installer you mean? Tried that and it bugged up on me, though I confess I never gave it a second try. I still have the 1st gen iPhone, so forgive me for my ignorance if it's possible on the newer ones. Still a bummer for some buyers though.

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

nope. don't need installer. don't need to jailbreak phone. don't need a 3G. don't need anything except iTunes.

8. profetto macrumors regular

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Really? Thanks guys for letting me know, I'll look into it.

10. profetto macrumors regular

No problem.

11. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Seriously? The iPhone is my first phone with a GPS, and it's saved my ass on more than a few occasions. It's incredibly helpful while going to the city, driving somewhere unfamiliar, it helped my family and I tremendously while on vacation in an unfamiliar city.

12. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

The list of missing features on the iphone is very long. It is a bare-bones phone, with a bare-bones web experience, with bare-bones email, with bare-bones messaging, with bare-bones... There's enough stuff on it to get salespeople through a 5minute pitch about what it *does* do, without having to go into detail with all the shortcomings. Everything it does do seems to have been done merely as a way for Apple to add a bullet point to its sales sheet. "GPS, oh yeah, it does that!" (just as long as you're not out in the country, or cell tower range. ...where you would actually use GPS.) Everything comes with a catch on this thing.

Never has a phone cost so much (the full "subsidized" price), and done so little.

Apple has its service providers contracts to thank for keeping us locked in once we've bought them, or I expect there'd be a mass upheaval on ebay that'd dwarf the bake sale that exists there now. All you can do is give them all the money you said you would, and simply not make this mistake again in 2 years.

...though, I'd expect by then Apple will have been forced to offer a full-featured device.

The whole thing just feels horribly underdeveloped and overhyped.

13. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Just do a search on here. Its very very very simple.

Edit the mp3
    Open the editted mp3 in iTunes (under 40 sec.)
    Convert to AAC
    Drag AAC file to Desktop
    Delete shortened mp3 and converted AAC file from iTunes
    rename the .m4a file to .m4u.
    double click and it will open in 'ringtones' in your iTunes.
    Sync iPhone.
    Voila.

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Awesome, thanks much. The pre-installed ringtones were starting to annoy me in a big way. =)

15. ilovebananas macrumors member

or use ringtone export feature in garageband.
    Will let you set up to 40 second segment of a song then converts it and puts it in itunes.
    Doesn't work on purchased content.

16. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Thanks for the second option; I'll try both and see which one I like better. Happy to know it's possible, though.

17. profetto macrumors regular

Wow, this is really easy.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not to be rude, but from your statement it doesn't appear you have much experience with mobile PDAs. Try using an AT&T Tilt as your only device. Forget about the "browser" and good luck with the phone using both hands.

The iPhone is a second generation phone competing against phones that are the results of years of development over many generation and IMHO the iPhone beats them all. Not even close.

But just my opinion.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't imagine many people would agree with your statement about the bare-bones web experience. Have you ever tried to use the web on a Blackberry? It is downright painful.

As for being underdeveloped and overhyped. I can sort of see where you are coming from. Clearly the hype is of epic proportions and overdone. And it is hard to understand why some features were left off of the iPhone (MMS, cut and paste, etc.), but all in all it is a great device. Better than any cell phone or PDA I've ever had. YMMV.

20. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Have you never woken up one morning and wondered, "where the hell am I??"

21. FJR macrumors regular

You can't? maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here, but you can definitely send texts or emails to multiple people.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The way I see it, the iPhone has roughly 100 features that are all easy to use, so I use them all the time.

Most other phones have 200-300 features, but they're so cumbersome and difficult to use that I'd only end up using 50 of them with any regularity.

It's easy to type up a list and say "look, the iPhone's list is shorter!" Yes, that's true, but it's not quite so black and white when you actually use these things in the real world.

EDIT: These are made-up numbers to explain my thought-process. I didn't actually count features, so don't ask. This is just the general impression I've gotten from most phones: That I was never using all the features. With the iPhone, I know that I am.

23. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

painful..?

more like... torture ;)

24. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I disagree 100%...for a second generation phone, it's definitely loaded...like someone already stated this is only the second phone apple has made..give it sometime..the features that people say are missing, will eventually be added..have a little patience...u can't expect Apple to produce the perfect phone in one shot...lets be realistic...it has an awesome mp3 player, it has awesome web browsing, awesome email, you can sync everything you want on the phone, then there are apps, the apps store rocks...you can watch youtube on it, take pics, text msg, gps and it comes in 3g...geez what more do you people want right now!!! don't get me wrong I would love to see a front cam for video calls, but I'm not going to say the iphone sucks because it doesn't have the front cam, or because there is no copy and paste feature...geez...these types of threads are pointless

25. Bitmap Frog macrumors member

Coming from two years on symbian/s60(nokia's own OS/GUI) I can tell you the iphone is the better phone unless you need the missing functionality (Bluetooth profiles, mms, email file attachments, proper camera, etc).