Read/Write error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roddenshaw, Apr 29, 2007.

1. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm not especially proficient with OS X, so apologies if this is a stupid question.

I'm trying to transfer purchased music from my iPod to my mac via iTunes (the music was uploaded to the iPod from my work PC - so the iPod is formatted for Windows and I'm using the automatic function in iTunes to transfer purchased music). When the transfer is in progress an error message comes up: "Attempting to copy to the disk "Mac HD" failed. The disk could not be read from or written to".

After this happened a couple of times, I checked the permissions on my iTunes folder (which is the folder that iTunes is trying to copy to - I also checked that). The permissions are set to read/write. I then checked the permissions on the HD itself. They were set to read/write too, however I asked it to apply this to all sub-folders on the offchance that something wasn't correctly set. Whilst this was processing an error message popped up: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "Mac HD" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

I used the disk utility to verify permissions and the disk itself, as well as trying to repair the disk. Everything appeared to be ok, however the errors above are still occurring. Google has yielded no results, so I'm turning to the experts.

I hope someone can help!

2. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

As a follow-up

The file that iTunes is trying to transfer at the time is a Vanessa-Mae track - I therefore saved a Pages file to the specific directory that iTunes is trying to write to and it worked fine. I really am at a loss as to what the problem could be.