Read/Write issues with external drive used on both platforms...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stormypenguin, Jan 7, 2010.

1. stormypenguin macrumors member

Hello, experiencing an irritating problem with one of my external hard drives. It's just a generic, "Rock Mobile Disk", 750GB external that I have been using for not-so-important files to use between my Macbook Pro and XP through Bootcamp.

Usually all that it takes to read and write from both sides is to properly eject the drive in each platform. For some reason, suddenly I am not able to write to the drive from the Mac side.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Thank you..

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Has this specific drive Bern used on both platforms before? It could be that this particular drive is NTFS formatted which would indeed be read only on the Mac OS side. If that's not the problem I'm not sure where to look next.

Do you have parallels or some other vmware that may have been active and masking the NTFS issue on prior uses?

3. stormypenguin thread starter macrumors member

I have indeed used the drive successfully with both platforms. As I mentioned, what I have been doing is using the drive, say, in Bootcamp. Pull files, add files, etc. Safely remove hardware. Reboot in OS X. Rinse and repeat basically... I have not had a problem up to now. As far as I know, Parallels isn't interfering - it is not running.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I wasn't thinking Parallels was interfering so much as helping. If the drive is NTFS formatted then Mac OS only has read only access. Parallels, when running, may rectify that shortcoming since it handles "Windows Stuff". I'm grasping at straws here since my only Mac is a 5.5 year old Power Book that can barely run Virtual PC, and that's only if I'm feeling very maschistic.