read/write permission issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FortWorthMac, Nov 23, 2010.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I run Quicken for Windows on my iMac via Fusion. I keep my data file in my (default) Mac folder. The best I can tell I have file sharing setting up with Read/Write privileges via sharing settings.

I now have a new MBA with Parallels installed and Quicken for Windows on it.

I am attempting/wanting to keep my data file on my iMac's default documents folder and access it across my wireless LAN on my MBA but when I try to WRITE my newly saved data file Windows (on my MBA via Parallels) is telling my I don't have writing privileges.

Any idea what I could be overlooking?

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. But same results via Notepad. It can't save/write the file.

I'm pretty anal about my Quicken data and not losing it so I need to figure something out :)

Thanks
    David

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, that's why I pointed out that Intuit does not recommend putting your quicken file on a network.

Now, take a step back from the VM. Separate variables some more. Can you read/write to the share from your MBA under OS X?

B

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this is strange.

In answer to your above question, Yes. I can write to my MBA from my iMac.

I have also found that I can write to my iMac Documents folder but not to the folder I created in Documents called "quicken share".

I simply backed up my Quicken data file to my iMac to the above mentioned folder and it appeared to have saved fine, al be-it just not to my desired location.

With what you originally mentioned in mind about quicken data files and network shares, do you have any recommendations about how to automatically keep a data file in both locations? And as long as it is in fact in BOTH locations, I use Mozy to backup offsite in addition to Time Machine.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like a perfect job for Dropbox! http://dropbox.com as long as you don't mind your Quicken data being in the cloud.

B

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that was my first idea as I've been with Dropbox almost since it's inception, but for some reason Quicken has an aversion to Dropbox and cannot "see" it in the file/folder structure. So unless I'm missing something, that's not an option.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You may just need a newer Dropbox.

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=15409 (This is for the Mac version though, Windows doesn't use a resource fork).

OR, since it's Windows Quicken, you could try Windows Live Mesh 2011. https://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx

B

9. Valdemar macrumors newbie

I use Dropbox for my Quicken data (Quicken on the Mac), but it doesn't work unless you set up a sparse disk image (or maybe just a disk image?) to access the data. I think it has to do with Dropbox stripping resource forks, though it's been quite awhile since I've set it up, and things have probably changed by now. Also, as I said, this was on the Mac. It works great, though.