Read & Write Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guitarplaya08, Jan 8, 2009.

1. guitarplaya08 macrumors newbie

Hey. I restored lots of stuff from Time Machine and the permissions are all messed up.. I've repaired permissions with the disk utility multiple times. However, particular folders have remained inaccessible. They're locked up and the only way to access them is to right click>get info> and enter my administrative password and change "everyone" to "Read & Write."

For example, I still cannot edit iTunes song files information (id3 tags and whatnot), Microsoft Word cannot Autosave....

stuff like that. is there anyway to do an administrative UNLOCK for all files on the harddrive? or what would be the best way to go about fixing this issue. I'm afraid that simply replacing the iTunes library file would really be avoiding the bigger issue at hand.

Thank you.

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

Did you simply restore the folders from Time Machine or did you restore your whole computer using a Time Machine back-up?

One thing you could do is create a new user account and then manually copy things out of the Time Machine back-up by navigating to /Volumes/Your Time Machine Disk/Backups.backupdb/Your Computer/[date of backup]/Users/[your user name]/ and copying things from there into the appropriate places in the new account.

3. guitarplaya08 thread starter macrumors newbie

i restored the users info with the migration assistant utility and also copied folders. i didnt do a complete restore. wouldn't i encounter the same problem if i created a new user?