Read/Writing on (HPS) external HD from Windoes

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OatmealRocks, Aug 3, 2010.

1. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

I need your opinion. On my mac I use OS X Snow Leopard mainly but on occasion I do use Windows 7 on apps such as MS SQL, MS project and MS Visio.

I just got a new external HD and debating on the file format, HPS or NTFS? I want both OS to be able to access the files. If I use HPS format would I have any issues with SQL or Visio files that are extracted from my external(HPS) drive??

What program can do this?

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Boot Camp comes with read only HFS drivers that would probably work fine for Visio, but probably not SQL. There are a number of packages for windows like MacDrive that can enable read/write access.

Personally, I prefer abstracting this over the network so it doesn't matter.
    All my shared files are either in dropbox or on a local HP mediasmart server.

B

3. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does yoru HP server use? FAT32, HFS, NTFS?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's NTFS. The device runs Windows Home Server and also deals with the Time Machine backups for all my computers (3 Macs dual booted with Windows and 2 PCs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05562&cm_re=mediasmart-_-59-105-562-_-Product

They used to have an LX model that was cheaper.

Any NAS will do though, even a Time Capsule or hanging your external off of something like an Airport Extreme. (Those would be HFS+).

B

5. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey that's pretty cool.

I thought about NTFS but the issue is when I copy files to external on NTFS, it will create a weird file with teh same name but 0kb. NOt sure if you know what I'm referring to. I have NTFS-3G on the mac side.

It is annoying to see a double of the same file.. if I do work on Mac and copy files to the external.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check out BlueHarvest http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

B

7. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. THis is what I am looking for.