Reading an iBook on the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Sep 7, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have numerous books in iTunes, some PDF files and others ePub files.

When I double click on a PDF file book in iTunes, Preview on my MBP will open up allowing me to read it.

However, when clicking an ePub file nothing happens. Nothing opens. And of course i'd like for something to open up allowing me to read it on my Mac.

I bring up this thread cause I remember not too long ago Pages allowed for ePub conversion, figuring at the very least Pages could/would open up.

Anyone have any recommendations for my wanted outcome of wanting an ePub file from iTunes to open up on my Mac?

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

If the file is unprotected you can use a program like Calibre or Reader Library to open and read them. I don't think you can open books purchased via iBooks on your computer but I haven't tried so I could be wrong.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The files are indeed not protected and they do open in Calibre, haven't tried Stanza or Reader Library...put preferably would want Pages.

Even going through the iTunes folder and grabbing the ePub file Pages still won't accept the file. :mad:

4. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

It would be nice if Pages could read the epubs not only for reading but for editing them as well. It seems that it is only an export option at the moment.