Reading and the iphone 4 battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mickeysworld, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mickeysworld macrumors member

Sorry for the newbie question, I'm new to macrumors and the iphone. While reading a book in either the Kindle app or iBooks, I notice a 1% battery drop every 10 minutes or so, my question is, is this normal? My screen settings are around 30-40%; wifi, 3g, bluetooth, location services are all off, push and fetch are set to manual. I would catagorize myself as a light to moderate user; minimal web browsing, usually using wifi, minimal phone calls, maybe 10 minutes per day, minimal gaming, nothing 3D intensive, 20-30 minutes of reading, sometimes some ipod use, 15 minutes or so. I've been concerned about my battery and was told by applecare that the battery drain I'm seeing while reading is normal. I've also had a diagnostic run on my battery by the apple geniuses and was told my battery was operating normally. So what do you all think, am I just being paranoid? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

1% every 10 min would be about 16 hours of usage lol so if that's the case, we could all use your battery :p

I get roughly 7-9 usage hours. Which is fantastic. I don't even look at "standby". It really means nothing. Just look at your battery when it's at 1% left, and see how much "usage" you got. If it's over 6 hours, it's fine. It can be as high as 10+ too. Depending on how you use it obviously.

3. mickeysworld thread starter macrumors member

Thanks maddux2005, I'm feeling a bit better! Will definitely look at the usage once I'm down to 1%. Guess it's time to turn off the battery percentage meter and put an end to the paranoia...

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You've discovered one of the two major advantages to an e-ink reader like the Kindle. ;)