Reading app for Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geekygeek, Aug 30, 2011.

1. geekygeek macrumors regular

I tried kindle from the app store but the scrolling and like a pc. And iBooks isn't on Mac yet, so what reading app should I use that has a good selection of books and smooth scrolling in Lion?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

3. salbiani macrumors member

I use Adobe Digital Editions. You can't read the books from the iBook store, but there are several other places to buy and more importantly I can borrow books from my local library.

4. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry your system did not meet the system requirements. Does anybody know when ibooks come out for Mac?

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Here's a really terrific solution.

Install the Chrome Browser on your Mac, then the iReader extension.

It's the most amazing way to read on a laptop I've ever used.

I just can't say enough good things about the great new extensions that Google has released for Chrome over the last six months.

http://goo.gl/5j1nj

6. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

7. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I thought I saw a rumor about it coming this fall (so within 3 months). I can't wait for this. I don't want an iPad and the iPhone is way too small for me.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

chrome is the most efficient browser for me...

9. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I used to love chrome and it's awesome on slower computers... but man is it a resource hog sometimes.

10. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

This is kinda off topic, when I install something from the app store on my Mac, how do I unistall it, do I just go to launchpad and click the x on it? And for programs, how do you unistall them? Say I downloaded chrome and I decide to delete it, how? I just remove the icon, and empty my trash, there's probably more than that I think.

11. jollygoodamy macrumors regular

Navigate to [Your User Name]/Applications, locate the app you want to remove, and drag it to the Trash icon on your dock. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command+Delete. Since Mac applications are all packed into bundles (that’s the icon you drag to the Trash) just deleting the bundle removes the app.

But, there is one catch. A lot of apps leave behind external files, such as preference files, dotted around your system, which don’t get deleted when you send the application bundle to the Trash. You could hunt around and manually delete those files, but it would be very time-consuming and there’s no guarantee you’ll find every one. Luckily, there are some third-party apps that will handle this for you, but I assume you would be fine just leaving the files there if you want.

AppZapper is one of those apps that can get rid of those pesky files for you. When you want to uninstall another app, fire up AppZapper. Instead of dragging the application to the Trash, drag it to the AppZapper window. AppZapper looks through your hard drives for any files related to the app you’re deleting. It presents you with a list, and you can uncheck any items you’re not sure you want to delete before finalizing the process. All files are sent to your Trash bin.
    AppCleaner is also a free app that does pretty much the same thing. :)

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner and AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: