Reading AVI/Perian

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peter Franks, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Hi people,

Before I installed Perian, I used to get the 'Quicktime can not read, not in a format QT understands, blah blah' etc.. But I now have this again for an AVI. Any reasons why things would change. Looks exactly like the AVI files it usually reads, nothing is different, and does Perian also open WMV above Flip4Mac?

Also today, the Flip4Mac came up for a WMV file, which I've not seen for ages. Is there a setting in Perian where it is the preference to use instead of Flip, I thought it had taken over all that stuff.

Is there a control for Perian to decide what it opens, The 'open with' right click sometimes just says open with WMV player, which obviously only opens in QT via Flip?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i use MplayerX, never have any issues playing AVI, i know everyone has there one preference for media players but if you havnt yet give it a try

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, Is that like VLC? And does it still give you the option to use other things, like Perian or Flip through QT? That's what I don't get, no options for?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yeah its like VLC its a seperate player, you can just set it up as the default for any type of file you choose, it plays them well

my favorite feature is you can you use the arrows to skip forward and backwards

side arrows are 30 second skips i believe and up and down skip 1 minute

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Dunno why AVI is not AVI. Most play with Perian, but this one doesn't. And I'm guessing Perian doesn't do WMV files?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well im not an expert but i think avi is the type of file but there are many codec's that fall within that file type