Reading betwen the lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pretorien, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Pretorien macrumors newbie

I have been following this forum for some time in anticipation of a new computer purchase - pretty well settled on the 15" retina - either base model or one step up (I have gone through 3 Thinkpads -two of them suffered catastrophic main board failures)

The current "mid '14" models fits all of my needs - power - amateur photo and video editing and, most particularly voice-to-text via Dragon - flexibility - 16G of ram to run Parallels for certain applications and, I think, even in the base mode, adequate graphics (I don't game)

There is, of course, a lot of discussion about "what's coming" - I have not paid a lot of attention since, as suggested above, the current models do all I need and, in practical terms, barring a great leap in technology like a "forever" battery or failure-proof storage drive, a second or two booting or loading a program will simply not affect the way I work.

Something caught my eye today - the suggestion that a next gen MBpro might borrow from the just introduced MB - thinner, lighter, and fewer ports. I don't care about thinner and lighter - my computer spends 90% of its time on my desk but one port for everything - I'm not so sure - more adapters to keep around and a risk factor: Messing with electronics for over 50 years has taught me that a lot of gremlins hide in the interconnects so, if you have only one and it goes south..........

So, I'll buy when I'm ready -today's version if that is what is current or the next one if Apple has not let their penchant for design elegance compromise function (should the latter come about, there is the refurb/NOS market)

2. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I doubt a power user would want one port and dongles. The rMB is for casual users IMO. Very very nice design so I'm not hating on it but... The Pro is a flagship. The Air should stay and not change too much for those in-between e.g, ports, thin and light. Apple has it all covered.

The future of the rMB will be the next one, this one is a super nice beta.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

THe rMB

has one port because it is tiny light road warrior designed to be used in the cloud. It is so thin and light because it uses a fanless 5W processor.

These things will never be relevant to the 15 inch Pro so don't worry about it.