iPad Reading books/mags off iPad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 100Years, Jun 4, 2012.

1. 100Years macrumors regular

I have been reading that if you buy iBooks or magazines, then you are restricted to reading them only on your mobile device -- iPhone or ipad.

If you jailbreak your iPad, can you transfer the books/mags to a PC or Mac computer for viewing as well? If so, could someone point me to a place to get more info on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't need to jailbreak to transfer iBooks to your computer -- in fact, when you sync your ipad, they are copied to your computer along with other media you buy from Apple like songs and movies.

But you can't read them on your computer because they have DRM. Well, most of them. Some iBooks come without DRM, and those can be opened with any epub reader. But most books you buy from the iBooks store will have DRM. There is a program that you can download that will remove the DRM, but personally, I've found it finicky and not very easy to use. For what it's worth, you can find it here:
    http://www.ibooksdrmremoval.com/requiem/

What I end up doing is buying ebooks from Amazon and Barnes&Nobles, which also come with DRM, but they are easier to remove, and once you remove the DRM, you can read them in iBooks app. (B&N books, you just have to remove DRM, Amazon books, you remove DRM and then use a program called Calibre to convert to epub format.)

Magazines for the iPad are apps, so they only work on the iPad. Even if you jailbreak your iPad, that won't help with reading them on any other platform.

3. 100Years thread starter macrumors regular

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

why not just buy the books from amazon kindle, then read in the kindle app? There is kindle app for pc/mac/ios/android and even a web-based reader.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Personally, I use iBooks app because I like its look and feel better than the Kindle app, but i agree that for most people, this is a good solution.