iPad Reading books on iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trellaine, Oct 9, 2014.

1. trellaine macrumors member

hello, i am traveling on Saturday. And would like to maybe read a book to kill some time during my flight. I read so much as a kid but not so much anymore.

Whats my best option for an app to read books?

And what format/file do I need?

Thanks

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

App: iBooks
    Format: .epup, .pdf

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Personally, I much prefer Kindle. Especially with all the books I have gotten free via BookBub.

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Kindle, iBooks or Nook. Any of those will work fine. Nook and Kindle are not locked to Apple devices if you buy books on their markets. I have books from all three.

5. willentrekin macrumors member

Kindle and iBooks are both great apps, but Amazon's web-based shopping experience is better than the iBookstore.

I alternate between both. I prefer iBooks for books with illustrations and images, and find the Kindle app better for straight-up text reading.

6. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I also use (lightly) both the Kindle and iBooks apps and consider them roughly equal in terms of features, performance and overall user experience.

Biggest disappointment is that eBook pricing is not compelling. Pricing is usually the same between the two platforms, often within a couple of pennies. It does vary sometimes, but quite often the price of a book on either platform is about the same as the price of the book when it is released in paperback. And, for me, the reading experience of a paperback book is an order of magnitude better than either of the two apps.

If you usually buy your books in hardcover, then you will save $$ with an ebook. But not if you prefer paperbacks as I do.

Consequently, I only buy ebooks if it is something new that I really want to read without waiting for the paperback.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use exclusively the Kindle app on the iPad Mini. I've use iBooks a few times and had no problems with it. I just don't like having my e-libraries split between two apps and choose the Kindle app and Amazon to be my book selection of choice.

8. willentrekin macrumors member

Couldn't agree more. In fact, Amazon has recently been stalled in contract negotiations with Hachette, one of the major book publishers, regarding retail pricing.

It's worth noting that, in general, readers can find more, less expensive books for Kindle. In addition to Kindle Monthly Deals (all books $3.99 or less) and other regular deals, there's also the independent publishing movement -- Amazon has made it easy for authors to use the Kindle platform to offer their ebooks for sale, and many of those are priced at low prices, and even free.

Disclaimer: I'm one of them. I published two novels around 2011, and since then founded a publishing company through which I've been working with other authors, several of whom had previously published with much larger companies, to make their ebooks available. None of our books are priced higher than $4.99, and many are available for much less.

Our books are sometimes available on multiple platforms, but right now they're available exclusively from Amazon because we wanted to try out the new Kindle Unlimited subscription service. That's $10 per month for unlimited reading of books in the program--with the ability to "borrow" 10 books at a time. It's a pretty great program if you read a lot.

9. Digger148 macrumors member

Digger148

Mostly, I use the Kindle app in conjunction with the Overdrive.com link of my local public library website for library card access to eBooks, audiobooks, pdf, etc.