Reading data from two RAID0 HDDs used in a PC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dacoolest, May 5, 2013.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

Hi, I have had a PC which had two HDDs configured in RAID0 before I bought my mac. PC's motherboard is messed up and not working now but HDDs are working well. I need to get some important data from my HDDs.

Is there any way that I can get those two HDDs mounted in my 2011 macbook pro?

Do you think that I would be able to do that if I buy two external HDD enclosures and connect them through USB ?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If it's software raid, there's hope. I know there's some linux tools that can rebuild a raid drive. If it's a hardware raid, your best bet is to find a raid card that's OS X compliant, and uses the same chipset.

In all honesty, your best bet is to just get another identical motherboard and fix the PC.

3. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. Is it possible for a RAID0 setup to be different based on the chipset/mobo ? It was hardware raid used in the PC.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My understanding is that each controller uses a different algorithm, so you can't simply move drives from one controller to another unless they're using the same chipset.