Reading DVD-Ram disks in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevel58, Jul 20, 2007.

1. stevel58 macrumors newbie

stevel58

First apologies if this question has already been asked - I couldn't find it anywhere.

Can anyone confirm that a new SR-MBP can read DVD-RAM disks. I want to burn some DVDs off my Toshiba hard disk recorder but when I use it with -R format it seems to encode them so they cannot be read by my MBP or any other bit of equipment! So I was thinking of burning DVD-RAM disks instead.

If I can transfer them to my MBP I can then convert/rip them to another format.

Thanks in advance.

2. L3X macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if they read RAM discs since i don't have mine yet. How are you burning them?... are you burning data DVDs or video DVDs?

You can also try +Rs.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can find the thread here.

Also, did you 'finalize' the dvd-r when you had finished burning it? Otherwise nothing can read it, other than the drive you burnt it with.

4. stevel58 thread starter macrumors newbie

stevel58

Sorted!

Thanks for the prompt replies.

It was your post Sammich that got me there. I re-investigated the Toshiba unit and found that the Finalise item wasn't on the DVD menu (hence I had missed it). In fact it was on the Hard Disk menu!! So having found it I finalised a disk and it played perfectly on my MBP - even worked on Windows if I used VLC.

Thanks again.