Reading DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mattaut, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Mattaut macrumors regular

Can a computer that doesn't play DVDs still read a data DVD? Like could I just put a MOV file onto a DVD and play it on a computer that can't read a normal DVD with VOB files. Also if that is possible would it matter if the DVD is +R or -R?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It should be able to read a data DVD if the file types are supported by your computer. Correct me if I am wrong. It does not matter if it is a DVD-R or DVD+R. DVD+R and -R are just two types of recordable DVDs developed by different groups.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

It isn't whether or not the computer can read the files, it depends on two things:
    #1 the computer MUST have a DVD drive in good working order.

#2 the computer MUST have the software installed that can read the files.

-DH

4. Mattaut thread starter macrumors regular

So if it doesn't have a DVD drive then it can't read data DVDs, or any type of DVD?

5. -DH macrumors 65816

BINGO!

-DH

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Do you have a Macbook Air? I still don't understand why Apple is attempting to bring back no DVD drives.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

A computer can't open a file if it can't read it through software. TextEdit is a piece of software that comes on all Macs now, it can read most text files but with out the software your computer can't read/process any information it is given.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

There's a lot of things that Apple does that are beyond normal understanding!

;-)

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I would start a thread but if a phycologist comes across it, Steve Jobs may be taken in for evaluation. And it might put the MacRumors severs in overkill.

10. -DH macrumors 65816

Methinks you missed my point. TextEdit is software. Without the software capable of reading a file, no computer will read/process it. It's the software, not the computer that makes accessing files possible.

-DH

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Oh, I got your point though. I'll remove that if it's confusing or wrong. I 'll shut up now too.;)

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmm... Portability?

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I just don't see why someone may need something that thin especially when it's missing so many features. I guess if you are just doing things on pages, keynote, and other basic apps then it's fine. But this is getting way off topic. I think my 15" MBP is plenty portable. There hasn't been any where that I've gone where it was too big to bring. I carry it to and from work almost everyday and I don't see it as too big or a pain to carry. But that's just me.

BTW, I like your name. A song recommendation just for you is Big and Chunky by Will.i.am, here.