Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
So if I read an email on my Mac, it doesn't get marked as read on my iPhone until I open the Mail app or I get another email pushed. It's never worked properly as far as I can remember, even back when it was MobileMe. But curious if this happens to everyone or whether it is unique to me.

I have push settings set up correctly on my iPhone. If I read an email on my iPhone it gets marked as read on my Mac.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
That's how it acts when it is working normally. iClould mail pushes to the device on delivery only. It does not push the read status or when it has been deleted or moved to a folder and by all indications that is exactly how Apple designed it to act.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
That's how it acts when it is working normally. iClould mail pushes to the device on delivery only. It does not push the read status or when it has been deleted or moved to a folder and by all indications that is exactly how Apple designed it to act.

So much for iCloud keeping everything in sync without user interaction..

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
There are lot of choices now between iCloud, GMAIL, Hotmail etc. To me they ALL have positives and negatives. In this particular case Apple feels that this is a better design. My only guess is that they feel the other way uses too much battery for the benefit. For me it would be nice if they had a switch where I could chose to use more battery but have the read status updated whenever I read it on my Mac or not. I don't switch back and forth between my Mac and my iPhone. So doing an open of the mail app when I switch is not really a big deal.

More important to me would be to PUSH updates to folders. Hotmail does this. Not sure about GMAIL. I would not use GMAIL because of the "labels vs. folders" issue and I would not use Hotmail because I use a Mac and it does not work as well there as iCloud does. However, if I was on Windows still I would be using Hotmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.