Reading experience with iPad Pro 12.9''

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Leo90, Apr 19, 2016.

?

Do you read on your 12.9 iPad Pro

1. Yes, a lot!

55.1%
  2. Sometimes

30.6%
  3. Never!

14.3%
  1. Leo90 macrumors 6502

What is your experience reading books on 12.9 inch model? Do you use Kindle app or iBooks? Is the massive form factor an issue for you?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I personally don't. I have articles saved in pocket, and I do have textbooks in PDF form in GoodReader that I use in split screen mode - but for long form leisure time reading I do go back to my kindle paperwhite. I've always wanted a light form factor and, while I would like a larger screen size, I'm prepared to sacrifice that for the e ink screen.

I occasionally read non-fiction books on my Air 2. But find the backlight and weight was too much honestly.

3. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

U can do it but it's a little big and heavy. I use kindle app on my 12.9. U get used to the size. It feels small to me now. But if u have no reason for the 12.9 size I would say smaller is better. I love the 12.9 for art creation, photo editing , and as a second battery powered screen hooked up to my cintiq companion. It's a great text book for school, but reading in bed is a little uncomfortable

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Put it in landscape orientation and read using a 2-page spread. Makes for excellent reading.

If you want to use it in portrait, get a portrait-stable case such as the Moshi Versacover.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree on the landscape, two page reading part. Feels like a real book!

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I read books on mine all the time- iBooks and kindle. I am embarrassed to say that I had to change auto-lock from 2 minutes to 5 minutes, sometimes the larger screen would darken before I was done reading both pages.
    Other than that it's fine for reading.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I read on mine every day, everything from developer documents, PDFs, novels in iBooks and Marvel Unlimited. They're all awesome on the big screen.

I use it in portrait and landscape, for portrait I started putting my hand across to the furthest away side of the iPad and I rest it on my forearm, rather than with my old ones I held it by the edges. I find it very comfortable that way.

I've still got smaller iPads, other tablets and my trusty Kobo H2O, but nothing beats the big screen of the Pro.

8. Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am enjoying reading books on my Pro more than I thought I would. Reading in landscape is definitely the sweet spot.

9. kallyq macrumors regular

I put it on the keyboard on my lap while sitting on the couch and I don't have to hold it up at all. I really like reading on it that way.

10. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

I am reading magazines and it's great on the 12.9 iPP! Never did that on the 9.7 iPads because they where too small. The 12.9 has the size of a real magazine page and it's even better than the real thing....

11. urkel macrumors 68030

The only thing I liked reading on the 12.9 was comic books. It was great to not have to zoom in on panels. But when reading books I felt it was awkward due to the weight and it sometimes felt too big.

The 9.7 with true tone has been nice and is now my preferred reader.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I read a lot in bed and at times lay on my side with my iPad Air locked in landscape mode resting on it's side. Not sure I could easily do that with a 12.9 - if I decide on the bigger one I may have to get a Kindle.

13. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

It is about the size of most hardcover books when they are opened and layed flat. I see no problem wielding something that size. Not sure how thick of books you guys read but if it's a hardcover the weight isn't too far off after holding it for extended reading sessions. I know holding iPP for reading my textbooks instead of the book is a LOT more feasible than my large volumes.
    In all, reading is one of the most important and useful features of the 12.9iPP imo.