Reading iBooks on your Mac???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wensar, Aug 27, 2011.

1. wensar macrumors newbie

So, I've been searching for a solution on how to read a book that I bought through iBooks on my MacBook Pro. Does anyone have any recent solutions. Everything I've found was written in June of 2010. Help please!!

-Wendy:confused:

2. wensar thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Just some food for thought

thats why I prefer kindle books because you can read them cross platform.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Same but ibooks wouldn't feel the same on a mac you don't get the same flicking motion. if you can try getting a copy of your books in PDF format. Or just read iBooks on your iPad if you own one.

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Apple really failed here.

I'm an example of a lost customer because of this.

I will not buy an iPad to read eBooks, I will not read eBooks on my phone, and so I will buy mine from Kindle. All they would've had to do is have a simple reader for Mac, and I would've given them my business

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, it's annoying. One of the reasons I buy everything in the Kindle store.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, this is why I'm 100% Kindle.

I can read on my iPad, iPhone, Mac - and hopefully any other device I buy I the future.

iBooks are too expensive, and too locked-in.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes! The Kindle reader is good - and free.

It doesn't have stuff like page turning animations, but it's very stable, useful and easy to read - definitely not a poor relation to iBooks.

10. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, the iBooks app is nicer but Kindle beats iBooks in every other way (at least to me).

My biggest gripe with iBooks is that whenever I search for a book I want to read, it doesn't have it. Kindle store always does. I may just have odd reading choices but it's obvious for me when only one store has a copy available. :p

11. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Yes, I actually prefer the Kindle app over iBooks.

And reading on your phone isn't so bad, once you get used to it. Especially something that is engrossing to the point that you don't even realize what you're reading it on :p

12. ZAiPhone macrumors member

Kindle Supports: PC, Mac, iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad), Blackberry, Windows 7 and Android.
    iOS only supports some versions of iOS and does NOT support anything else including OSX on Mac. An Epicfail IMO. Trying to force iPad sales while in fact forcing people to go Kindle:eek:

Here is what Steve Jobs ibook says and I quote:
    "This book is available on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iBooks and on your computer with iTunes." http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/steve-jobs/id431617578?mt=11
    True it's available to purchase on all those platforms you just can't read it on all those platforms. I love a lot about Apple but some of their crap just makes me shake my head:confused:

I only have a few free iBooks 100% of my paid eBooks are Kindle.

13. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I've never understood why people love Kindles so much. The Nook is so much better! Apps are available for all the devices and the Nook handles PDFs and other EPUBs so much better than the Kindle.

If Apple wants me to spend any money on iBooks, they need to make a Mac app. I will never purchase a book if the only device that I can read it on is my iPhone. I buy Nook books and read them on my Nook or my iPhone, I would do the same through iBooks if it were possible. Apple has definitely missed the boat on this!

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

There are multiple ePub readers for the Mac which is the format iBooks uses. But you still can't download or use iBooks protected ePubs on the Mac. i would expect it is coming sometime. But digital books are very much a sideline for Apple unlike Amazon so it doesn't get nearly as much emphasis. Even though iBooks has a few more controls I can't stand the fake book interface so I mostly use the cleaner looking Kindle app on all my devices.

16. adjuvantjfoster macrumors newbie

iBooks purchased are only readable on an iOS device

I was amazed to learn just how many folks are furious about this limitation that Apple's FairPlay 2 DRM encryption of iBooks purchased on iTunes with a MacBook Pro, are only readable on an iOS device.

One of the many, many threads loaded with comments by frustrated and furious people on this issue is

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2427314?start=105&tstart=0