iPad Pro Reading in bed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harpyeagle, Oct 4, 2015.

1. harpyeagle macrumors regular

My iPad Air gets used in bed about 80% of the time. This is one of the reasons my 2014 rMBP gets much less love than it should.

Since I am tempted to get one, I wonder if I'll throw money away for another apple device that, for the most part, will be sleeping alongside my rMBP given my usage pattern and its weight/dimensions.

So want to find out from anyone else planning to buy iPad Pro purely for entertainment purposes - How and where will you be using it?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

Careful the iPad pro could kill you if it falls on your head , get one of those clamps

3. Serban Suspended

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

for me personally, i'll be using my regular ipad for bedroom activities ;)

5. Serban Suspended

yes but without a stand will be difficult to use it in bed :D

6. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

The iPad Pro in bed, and flip it face down and it doubles as a dinner table! Now that's multi-use! ;)

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It weighs the same as the original iPad for crying out loud. o_O

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I had the original iPad for less than a week. It was much to heavy to use as an e-reader.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

iPad Air is borderline too big in bed for me... I have to push it away to read.

Mini 4 is perfect in the bed for reading.

Pro would be ridiculously too big in the biscuit.

10. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I think the mini is the perfect size for reading in bed. If I'm watching a movie, I do prefer a bigger screen so I use my old iPad 2 but I don't hold it over my head, I'll rest it on my stomach or something and sit up a bit.

I can't imagine using an iPad Pro while lying down...

11. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I already find my Air 2 to be a little on the large side for using it in bed. It's the main reason why I still have my Nexus 7 in daily use (as an e-book reader and for quick browsing in bed). I probably wouldn't take the iPad Pro to bed -- just bulky and might have a poor viewing angle due to the display's size.

12. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I agree with the folks who say it's rather large for bedtime reading/video watching. I suppose we'll see when it comes out, though.

And I also thought the original ipad was a bit too heavy to hold steady for a significant length of time, at least in bed or while seated without a table.

13. newellj macrumors 601

I pre-ordered the wheels kit for the iPad Pro! :D

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Personally I want all three. Pro for work and daytime, Air for sofa and mini for bed.

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    While laying down, I mostly write on my iPad and watch some netflix or tv. Once the Pro comes out i'll be using that for writing, drawing, and everything else. The weight doesn't bother me, I just don't want to accidentally fall asleep and wake up with the iPad crushed under my elbow or something. Ha ha.

Kallum.

16. FrederikTK macrumors member

FrederikTK

Having the weight spread out over a larger area might help you in that regard. It should make the device feel less heavy than it is, relative to a smaller device.

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

this too is an option im seriously considering

Pro - work and daytime
    Air - general around the house
    Mini - bed and holidays

18. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Not a bad idea.

I might just do this too, lol.

19. Kiwikat88 macrumors regular

Kiwikat88

As a (mostly for entertainment) user of the nearly-as-big Note Pro 12.2 I don't find it to be too big or heavy to use in bed or anywhere else. The key is having a case that supports multiple angles. Because the Apple keyboard cover doesn't, I am likely skipping it and getting a third party case like I've got for the 12.2.

The bigger size makes it much better for media consumption. You can actually read text while fitting more than a paragraph on the screen at a time. It also makes multitasking a lot more fun. I've been using Youtube and Google Hangouts next to each other frequently.

20. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

iPad Pro, perfect for those of us reading in bed, and have a beer belly ;)

21. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I'm expecting a similar use:
    Pro - General Use
    Air - Holiday, PDFs & Occasional Bed
    Kindle - Long Form Reading

I prefer e-ink when I'm going to be doing a lot of reading. Also nicer when reading outdoors. Hard to say exactly how the split will play out between the Pro and Air, but I don't yet expect the Pro can completely replace it when portability is more important. But it might mean I stop upgrading the iPad regularly and just keep the Air 2 until it dies instead of reselling it.

22. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

well, i am planning on purchasing the new kindle voyage if/when it's imminently released too :)

23. rwp macrumors member

I own an iPad Mini 2, which I love for reading/watching Netflix in bed. I was going to trade it in to help offset the purchase of the iPad Pro, but when I saw I could only get about $150 for it, decided to just keep it. In a way I was actually relieved -- I wasn't sure I would enjoy reading on iPad Pro in bed for long periods of time.

So it will be iPad Mini 2 + iPad Pro for me.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iPad Air - general around the house and to go
    Ellipses 8 - For restroom
    LG G Pad 7.0 - for bus/train