Reading in the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

So I went to an Apple store to check out the new iPad and am left with only a few questions that can only be answered by new iPad owners. Here is one of my questions:

When just reading pdfs or using a book application does the new iPad still get a little warm on the lower left side?

I know that temperature conversations are all over MR right now but I am looking for this specific piece of information. I could care less if the device gets warm if I am doing some mildly intense work, but I just don't want to hold a warm device if all I am doing is reading.

Thanks,

CFS

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I have read on my new iPad for hours daily since the day I bought it; my college texts are on it and it has never gotten too hot to hold. Lukewarm maybe, but nothin uncomfortable.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So it does actually get warm when just reading. What was your screen on by chance? Just wondering because the warmth when reading for an hour is a big deal for me.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I find that the new iPad gets warm from normal use, no matter what you're doing. The animations etc. that are commonplace in iOS keep the CPU/GPU on its toes, but the warmth is by no means anything to worry about. Considering that the power of the iPad is much increased in this generation (while retaining a fanless design), it's no wonder why it gets warmer than previous models do.

I actually see the warmth as a bonus! Many a time, especially during winter, I've gripped the ice-cold body of my previous iPads and had a chill run down my spine. :p

5. southerndude39 macrumors member

I read on my new iPad constantly as well as play games and I've never noticed it getting warm. I did run it at 100% brightness yesterday for an hour and in the lower corner it got slightly warmer than the rest. Who runs it on 100% though? It's blinding.

I only have the Wi-Fi version though so maybe the LTE version gets warmer but I can't vouch for it.

6. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I always keep my screen between 50-60% brightness. I don't know your heat sensitivity so I can not speak for you but the warmth isn't even considerable enough to warrant a mention IMO. I suggest going to an Apple store and picking up a display model and see how it feels to the touch; they've been used all day so it would be a good indicator of how warm it may get.

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I did that at the store and I didn't like the warmth but then again it was on 100% and probably on for 8hrs. By the time I got there.

It is not so much that the warmth concerns me. You actually put it well, it is my tolerance for heat sensitivity on one side of my hands when trying to focus on reading important text. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I think I will just have to buy and try if I decide to upgrade from my iPad 1.

8. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Reading over an extended period of time with brightness at 50%, the back does get noticeably warm on the lower left. My left hand even got sweaty a few times from this heat. This, of course, creates more friction between your finger and the screen which is unpleasant. However, after running my iPad through a couple charge cycles, it seems to not heat up quite as much, although it is still noticeable. I'm considering exchanging it for a different unit (but I don't know if a different one will be better because research suggests this heat problem affects most, if not all, units) or even returning it for an iPad 2.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the heat issue, but my iPad was produced the first week it went into production.

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

No problem. Hope you do try it out, and not regret your decision.

10. whawhat macrumors 6502

News is totally overblowing this heat issue. It gets warm but never uncomfortably so. For light reading and browsing it's fine.

11. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I am unable to detect any temperature rise when reading a book or PDF.

12. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. When you mention no rise do you mean that it doesnt rise from its already normally warm state or the back is not warm at all?

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

mmhmm. I believe the testing had the iPad running Infinity Blade 2 at 100% brightness. That's nowhere near as "light" as reading and browsing

14. LyndaP macrumors member

I read a lot on my iPad, and with brightness at about 50% it never gets warm, much less hot. I turned the brightness up to 80% and still didn't get warm.

15. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I read all the time on mine and it never even feels warm. I just finished watching a movie and barely feel any warmth so maybe mine is an anomaly. :confused:

16. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If you're going to complain about a "warm" device.... I don't know how you've made it this far in life.

Not to be harsh, but it really isn't noticeable.

17. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I read today at 75% brightness for a solid four hours while also occasionally checking tumblr/facebook on Wi-Fi and the device only very slightly increased in temperature, but I'm not sure if it's from me just holding it and the aluminum heating to the temperature of my hands or what. The temperature was no where near as warm as the bottom of my MBP during regular use.

It wasn't remotely uncomfortable, and I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for the fact that these forums have constantly had me thinking about device temperature at the back of my mind.

I bought my iPad with the intent to use it as an e-reader regularly, and so far it has not disappointed me.

18. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

It doesn't feel warmer than body temperature. If I read with it in my lap, it warms up to my body temperature. If I hold it in my hands, I don't notice it to be any warmer than other objects. It's really a non-issue when reading.

BTW, I have the brightness set to 50% with auto-brightness control enabled.

My iPhone does get warm if I talk on the phone for any length of time, but the iPad is cool.

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

This whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion. OP, if you're going to use the device for reading, you have nothing to worry about to so long as you're not using the device at a really high brightness settings. 50% or so seems to be fine, from what I've seen.

20. brentsg macrumors 68030

Put a thin case or something on it if by some incredibly remote chance it bothers you.

21. appleisler macrumors member

Well I for one am not blowing it out of proportion but nor am I imagining it.

Yesterday, having spent somewhere between 45-60 mins reading the news in Reeder with the screen at approximately 50% brightness the ENTIRE back of the iPad heated up. It was not enough to burn my skin but it felt really hot and it was enough to heat up the entire glass front of the iPad. The glass was very warm bordering on hot.

Although I noticed the left corner thing when streaming a 50 min show using SteamtoMe, that was nothing compared to the entire iPad heating up. It worried me enough to post on here to try and work out whether I show call up Apple.

It hasn't happened since but I am keeping an eye on things and if it keeps happening to me, and not to everyone else, then I will see about getting it replaced. Given that its not happening consistently to everyone or even to me (used Reeder today for a similar time and its been fine), I think its a glitch or defect rather than a design flaw.

Just because it hasn't happened to you, does NOT mean its not happening or that everything else is blowing it out of proportion - sheesh.

To the OP, as it does not seem to be happening to everyone uniformly, it probably means its some kind of glitch - a faulty part or even something that could be fixed via a firmware update or something. Its probably not an irreconcilable design flaw and I wouldn't let it stop you from getting a new iPad especially for reading as the new screen is really great for reading.

22. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't even know the issue that's going on with the warm iPads. I've had 2 of the new iPad (AT&T, Verizon) and used both to browse, play games and read several chapters of the book. Not once did I ever put it down since it was getting to "hot" to hold. If you want, you can get a smart cover, flip over to the back (like a book) to give some insulation. I have a smartcover, but I remove it when using the iPad.

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I think it is blown out of proportion. On my new iPad this is a non-issue. The screen is fantastic and it is really really fast. The is no lag at nothing I throw at it so far.

24. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Answer: no.

The "heat" issue is absurd. Gross exaggerations. No one will care in a week. I hope Apple continues to ignore these ridiculous media blasts about iPad overheating. Nonsense.

25. Old Blue macrumors member