Reading in the Shade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darkpixie08, Oct 10, 2010.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

How does the Ipad handle in the shade? I like to read outside occasionally, but very rarely am I ever in direct sunlight, if I'm at the beach, I'm under an umbrella or a cabana, if I'm at the park I'm under a tree. Can anyone tell me their experiences reading in the shade?

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I sit outside and read on the back deck all the time.

It works great.

Even works great in the sun, as long as you have a little control over the angle you're sitting. (i.e. if you can see the Sun itself reflected in the screen, and your face is developing blisters from the UV -- you're holding it wrong.)

I have a picture of my iPad in the sun as the 3rd screen shot of my app in the App Store. You can see the screen is still quite readable.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I had a very difficult time with it. I recently went on a car trip and brought my iPad to read on. It has an anti glare screen protector and the windows in the car are tinted so I figured it would be ok. It was absolutely horrible. I had to struggle to read anything until I put a blanket over my head and the iPad and then it was uncomfortably hot. I just gave up and ended up putting my iPad in my bag for the entire trip. As soon as I got home I put a kindle on my amazon wish list.

I just got the Kindle over the weekend and from now on will only be using my iPad to read in bed with the lights out.

4. TonyN macrumors newbie

In the shade, its pretty hard to see. But if you have screen protector that reduces glare, it would help a lot. Either that or put the brightness higher which works well. If your thinking of using in direct sunlight, it's not a very good idea.

5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I read sitting next to a window all the time... sometimes shady, sometimes sunny.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Only time I had an issue with it was when we were driving into the sun coming back from Balloon Fiesta this past weekend from NM to AZ.

My polarized sunglasses make the screen disappear. I also hate looking at the few specks of dust inside my iPad that glow like beacons when the sun shines on them.

Normally for limited use in the sun, I have no problems with the iPad, even with the brightness at half. For playing a game, studying, or reading for any length of time, it's not as much fun. Even my Nintendo DS was terrible in the sunlight too -- it's just the nature of the screens in general.

So instead I had to go "old school" and read a couple of books I picked up on the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Learning is fun! :p I was going to sell my old Sony Reader, but I might just keep it around for road trips when the sun is in my face.

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Have anti-glare screen protector. Can read in shade and moderate sunlight.

8. circularforward macrumors 6502

I have the Power Support anti-glare, and I do this all the time too. May need to crank brightness to the max, but it works.