Reading Mail Attachment Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrogovin, May 8, 2007.

1. mrogovin macrumors newbie

I use Apple's Mail client from an IMAP server. I sometimes receive mail with Word (.doc) or PDF attachments which appear in the body of the message as gibberish. Sometimes the attachment appears, but when I open it it is a blank document or it does not open (a claim the file is damaged). When I exit Mail and open the same message with another client, such as Thunderbird, on my mac, the attachment appears and opens fine. Same if I use a webMail interface to the IMAP server. I like the Mail application better than Thunderbird, but about 50% of my mail has attachments and I cannot use the program with over half of these messages. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's an attachment handling problem.

Does it happen to every single .doc attachment or only some?

If only some, you can narrow down the possibilities by sending yourself some sample .doc attachments.

Possibly mail.app has been misconfigured to treat binary attachments as ascii or to try to open them with the wrong helper program.

Do you have 'convert all incoming mail to plaintext' or something like that turned on?

Sorry I can't be much more help than that.

3. mrogovin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Does it happen to every single .doc attachment or only some?

If only some, you can narrow down the possibilities by sending yourself some sample .doc attachments.

Only some .doc and .pdf

Possibly mail.app has been misconfigured to treat binary attachments as ascii or to try to open them with the wrong helper program.

Do you have 'convert all incoming mail to plaintext' or something like that turned on?

How would I configure mail.app? I do not see any option for handling binary attachments or converting mail to plain text in preferences. Am I just missing it?

Michael

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

preferences / viewing / display images and embedded objects

try toggling that and see if it makes any difference

5. mrogovin thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try. my preference pane only has an option for remote images but will see if it makes a difference.

Thanks