Reading PDF's on rMB

Fuzzball84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Has anyone noticed how much processing power it takes up scrolling through a PDF in preview?

I noticed it warms up my rMB more than anything else I do...Same on my MBP too

Does anyone testing out the next OS version (10.11) on rMB know how it copes with PDF's etc?

Queen6

macrumors G3
It`s a known problem with OS X, try opening your PDF`s in quick view or DL Skim you will see a world of difference on any Mac running 10.10

Believe 10.11 addresses this, however I would ask over on the 10.11 forum as you will get a far more accurate answer.

n.b. Skim has a lot more functionality than currently available in Preview.

Q-6

Fuzzball84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
It`s a known problem with OS X, try opening your PDF`s in quick view or DL Skim you will see a world of difference on any Mac running 10.10

Believe 10.11 addresses this, however I would ask over on the 10.11 forum as you will get a far more accurate answer.

Q-6
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, surely can be a software fix in the next OS... my surface 3 can scroll through the same PDFs and not warm up at all....

I'll take a look at the other forum threads...

Can anyone with a rMB and using 10.11 let me know what PDF performance is like?

Thanks

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Absolutely crazy, I tried opening using quick look on my rMB and it can scroll through, zoom and pan around PDFs just like the surface 3 etc and just like the surface 3 the rMB doesn't even break a sweat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.